Sr. Director, Content Strategy & Development
Job ID 2022-3667
Krames, a WebMD Company, is a leading provider of education to improve patient engagement and understanding, leading to improved business and patient outcomes. Our content is designed to be helpful wherever it is needed in an individual’s health journey from discovery to recovery. Our content powers numerous products and platforms reaching millions of patients, caregivers and others annually in hospitals, health systems, and at home. Whether on behalf of a health system, physician’s office, employer or payor, our content aids understanding and action, driving deeper engagement for health improvement.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
At Krames and WebMD, we believe the right content can activate people toward better health. The Sr Director of Content Strategy and Development develops and directs the company’s content strategy, leading a large organization of people, processes, and resources to ensure a large, accurate, effective and competitive corpus of health and wellness content for consumers and patients against a backdrop of increasing consumer and customer expectations. This includes, but is not limited to, oversight of overall content quality, creation, and maintenance; content-related client service; platform technologies and other tools; as well as general administrative and reporting procedures. Core customers for the Company’s products include health systems, payors and hospital marketing.
The Senior Director of Content Strategy and Development ensures that Krames content supports lasting client relationships with health care organizations and assists in managing and/or exceeding client expectations. This role represents the Content organization on the company’s Senior Leadership Team and partners with various business and divisional units to ensure a seamless execution strategy and flawless customer service.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management that catalyzes content innovation at all stages of the patient journey; ensures ongoing content quality, accuracy, and engagement; and mirrors the vision and mission of the company.
- Develop, lead, and/or attend corporate strategic planning sessions. Collaborate with other executives and management teams to develop strategy and implement plans to continue the growth of the organization.
- Conceptualize, develop, and ensure progress against the annual Content Roadmap for the company, determining strategic objectives, initiatives, and projects for the Content team
- Direct content management team to drive operational results and business goals and objectives around Content.
- Establish credibility throughout the organization as an effective developer of solutions to business challenges and opportunities. Partner closely with leaders in Product, Video Production, Sales, Client Service, and Marketing.
- Assist in financial management in order to meet sales, growth, and market share objectives while realizing client expectations.
- Oversee budgeting, contracting, and forecasting for the Content team.
- Participate in the evaluation of relevant acquisition and partnership targets.
- Motivate and lead a high-performance team of experts focused on content marketing, patient acquisition, and patient education. Team members include but are not limited to medical editors and writers, clinicians, content strategists, medical illustrators, and graphic designers.
- Attract, recruit, and retain new members to the team that possess requisite content, client service, and project management skills and experience.
- Be responsible for the measurement and effectiveness of all Content-related processes. Provide executive reports as required or proactively as needed.
- Enhance and/or develop, implement, and enforce policies and procedures of the organization by way of systems that will improve overall Content operations and service effectiveness.
- Represent the Company with key clients, prospects, vendors, and business partners as appropriate.
- Stay abreast of industry news and trends to inform new content and product development as well as enhancements to current offerings.
- Use the time reporting system; signing and reporting all exception time on a weekly basis.
- Complete other administrative tasks, such as travel and expense reporting or similar, in a timely manner.
- Perform responsibilities in a professional manner, meeting the Company’s mission and goals.
Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of several directors, supervisors, and non-supervisory personnel. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience
Master’s degree (MA) or equivalent in an applicable field and fifteen (15) or more years’ related experience and/or training and/or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
This key critical position requires at least ten (10) years of overall experience with progressive leadership responsibility in a content-focused role, preferably in a health care-related setting such as patient education, disease management, patient or member experience, health care publishing, pharmaceuticals, or other related sectors to the business at hand.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Visionary Leadership - Displays passion and optimism; Inspires respect and trust; Mobilizes others to fulfill the vision; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates.
Project Management - Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
Innovation - Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Synthesizes complex or diverse information. Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Customer Centric- Ability to set clear client-centric metrics and drive the business towards successfully meeting them required. Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service.
Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
Change Management - Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Prepares and supports those affected by change; Monitors transition and evaluates results.
Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Project Management Certification or Service Certifications helpful.