Director of Design/UX
Job ID 2022-3687
Medscape, a division of WebMD, develops and hosts physician portals and related mobile applications that make it easier for physicians and healthcare professionals to access clinical reference sources, stay abreast of the latest clinical information, learn about new treatment options, earn continuing medical education credits and communicate with peers.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
WebMD is seeking a Director, Design & UX to help elevate our user experience and visual language. In this role, you'll lead the digital product design team, guide the organization’s UX strategy and collaborate closely with the product management team. As the design team leader, you'll apply your expertise to ensure that the design and UX team runs efficiently and effectively and that the work being produced is intuitive and accessible to users. You’ll also work closely with marketing and engineering teams to help influence decisions through evidence and data, in order to ensure that the UX deliverables align with the overall company goals.
In this role, you will oversee a portfolio of products that spans consumer and professional audiences. The work you do will empower millions of people to make purposeful decisions, whether it’s WebMD’s impact on consumer health & wellness outcomes or for Medscape, enabling medical professionals worldwide to make critical decisions for their patients.
What you'll do:
- Partner with business organization
- Drive the organization’s short-term and long-term UX/UI vision
- Support and collaborate with key groups in product management, technology, and marketing to achieve both UX and business outcomes
- Advocate for UX design decisions, and champion initiatives that will drive excellence in the product
- Represent the UX/UI team through phases of definition, prioritization, resourcing, and strategic execution with executive stakeholders
- Be a source of inspiration to rally design, product, and technology teams around mission-driven work.
- Lead design team
- Drive team growth through scaling, structuring, learning and development, performance management, career development, and employee well-being.
- Empower the design team to provide users a best-in-class experience, ultimately driving growth, engagement, and revenue
- Oversee the design team process, from problem definition to user flows, from wireframes to high-fidelity designs
- Map design resources to product areas to best support business objectives and key initiatives.
- Refine and expand guiding principles that establish a design philosophy across WebMD, Medscape, and the global Affiliate Network
- Support user research throughout the product development cycle, and work with the UX designers to determine the best methodology for a given project
- Advance and communicate the current and future vision of WebMD and Medscape’s business and the intersection with design & UX
- Position the team to utilize the latest design trends and processes as well as industry expectations and capabilities
- 10+ years of experience as a UX/UI designer
- 4+ years leading a team of product designers / UX Researchers & Designers
- Experience with the healthcare industry and/or digital publishing is a plus
- Experience leading user research, user validation, concept design, design systems, usability testing, and other modern design practices
- Bachelor's degree in Human Factors, Design or a related degree; or equivalent work experience
- Expertise in UX best-practices and research methodologies, including demonstrated success in conducting user research
- In-depth understanding of accessibility principles and track record of delivering high-quality universal design
- Passionate about building great products, innovation, and solving complex user problems
- Experience presenting to C-level management and working in a matrixed environment