Associate Copy Editor
Job ID 2021-3322
Medscape, a division of WebMD, develops and hosts physician portals and related mobile applications that make it easier for physicians and healthcare professionals to access clinical reference sources, stay abreast of the latest clinical information, learn about new treatment options, earn continuing medical education credits and communicate with peers.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
Medscape is looking for a copyeditor with experience in editing medical content and an interest in current events in and around medicine. This role is suited to someone who has worked on a medical/health publication in an entry-level editorial position and is now ready for more, with sights on a career in medical publishing. The ideal candidate is someone with exceptional writing and communication skills, a firm command of grammar, an eagle eye for typos, and a desire to learn and grow. We're looking for someone who is highly responsible and enjoys being on a team but can also work independently while staying mindful of deadlines. If you have a love of language and a curiosity for all things medical, this might be the right role for you.
- Copyedit content with accuracy according to house style requirements and within requested timelines
- Gain fluency in AMA style
- Learn the full suite of Medscape content offerings and acquire increasing skill in copyediting them
- Be able to pivot easily from one project to another as timelines demand
- Maintain positive relationships with editorial, production, and marketing teams through prompt, clear, and considerate communication
- Bachelor's degree in English, journalism, or biology or equivalent years of related professional experience
- 1-2 years' experience in online editing/copyediting of medical or health content
- Exceptional writing and communication skills
- Exceptional time-management and organizational skills
- Flexible and able to react professionally and efficiently to changes in schedules or scope without sacrificing quality
- Fluent in Microsoft Word
- Skilled in Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe PDF editing
- Able to learn new tools quickly
- Ability to cover a 12PM-8PM ET daily schedule, remote position
- Experience with American Medical Association Manual of Style
- Comfortable with terminology in a wide variety of medical specialties
- Knack for writing headline and teaser copy
- Knowledge of British English spellings