Job ID 2022-4033
Frontline Medical Communications, Inc., a division of Medscape, is one of the healthcare industry's largest medical communications companies and a leader in digital, print, and live events. The Company leads in HCP-level targeting and is ranked 1st in combined web and print engagements. With MDedge, our state-of-the-art integrated web portal, and audited email database, FMC meets the marketing challenges of our clients with superior reach, optimal sponsorship opportunities, and flexible advertising programs. FMC delivers award-winning, indexed, clinical reviews; practice and policy information; and medical news daily from on-site reporting at major medical meetings, many in collaboration with notable societies, medical associations, and opinion leaders. FMC produces live events, digital click-for-credit, and CME in affiliation with Global Academy for Medical Education, LLC and Hemedicus.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
The MDedge™ Network offers physicians and health care professionals medical news, clinical reviews, expert commentary, conference coverage, and learning programs from trusted and credible sources. MDedge comprises 35+ specialty-specific websites and publications as well as medical education, a career center, and other professional tools, designed to keep clinicians informed and save them time.
MDedge Editorial is seeking an editor-at-large for the MDedge websites and print publications, which offer the latest specialty news and expert perspectives from onsite conference coverage, summaries from the journals, and regulatory and approval news from the U.S. and around the world.
The person in this position must demonstrate a high level of reporting and editing skills and a sophisticated understanding of medicine in general. Tasks include assigning articles and other content for the web site, newsletters, and special print supplements; editing articles; and working with affiliated staff such as reporters and associate editors.
The ideal candidate must be able to multitask, be comfortable working both independently (under minimal supervision), as well as adept at working in a team environment. The candidate must have experience in publishing and superb written and communication skills. The ability to work well under pressure in a deadline driven environment is essential.
This position is responsible for fulfilling editor-level tasks across specialties and across print and digital products, The editor should ensure efficient and effective execution of all tasks within agreed priorities, budgets, and deadlines and work collaboratively with others. Specific tasks include but are not limited to:
- Work under direction of relevant specialty editors to complete an estimated 10 print supplements per year. This will include tasks such as corresponding with physician commenters and editing their commentaries, assigning articles to freelancers, securing images, editing, cuts/fills/headlines, and executing any coldread changes.
- Production assistance for monthly issues, including: Perform cuts/fills/headline writing for print publications. Approve edit check changes recommended by coldreader.
- Serve as editorial lead for MDedge/Surgery and MDedge/Emergency Medicine. Review daily Reuters list for relevant content and have it brought into MDedge’s CMS and processed through to digital publication. Ask that relevant Medscape content be brought into MDedge CMS. Serve as final editorial signoff on all Surgery and Emergency Medicine newsletters. Coordinate any sold meeting coverage on these two sites.
- Serve as editorial lead for any hospital medicine content on MDedge. This could include assigning monthly features or other hospitalist-specific content.
- Edit stories for all specialties as needed.
- Assist Rheumatology editor with preparing and executing the yearly EULAR Report (show daily), a series of three during-meeting publications as well as preview and wrap-up issues. Includes assistance with newsletters and offsite editorial support during U.S. business hours if the meeting is held in person in Europe next year.
- Research and organization: Help identify new prospects for writing commentaries through online research. As cross-disciplinary features coordinator, organize and work with teams/pairs of editors to develop content features applicable to several disciplines, especially perfect as page 1 photo stories.
- Review daily infectious disease selections from Medscape and ensure they are brought into the MDedge CMS, tag and teaser content for MDedge/Infectious Diseases, ensure content is prioritized as needed out of QC dept. Serve as reviewer and lead on any MDedge ID newsletters; lead editorial efforts on any MDedge-sponsored ID meetings.
- Help cover for editors who are on leave. This could include activities such as performing a print sort, approving newsletter drafts, and editing articles.
- Interpersonal skills to meet demands imposed by working with multiple members of the editorial staff as well as departments.
- Competency in working across multiple print and digital platforms.
- High productivity evidenced in ability to meet daily digital and print deadlines and perform tasks on schedule to meet embargoes.
- Editing of individual stories to verify accuracy and reflect good news judgment.
Journalism skills and knowledge to include:
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in advanced news writing and substantive editing.
- College degree in journalism, English, communications or a related field.
- A high level of reporting and editing skills and a sophisticated understanding of medicine in general, including pulmonology.
- Ability to write headlines and captions and solve editorial problems rapidly.
- Computer skills to include working in online environments and content management systems.
- Interpersonal skills and a team player attitude.