Director, Design & UX
Job ID 2020-2261
Medscape, a division of WebMD, develops and hosts physician portals and related mobile applications that make it easier for physicians and healthcare professionals to access clinical reference sources, stay abreast of the latest clinical information, learn about new treatment options, earn continuing medical education credits and communicate with peers.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Medscape from WebMD is seeking a Director, Design & UX to help elevate our visual language and user experience. In this role, you'll lead the digital product design team, guide the organization’s UX strategy and collaborate closely with the product management team. As the design team leader, you'll apply your expertise to ensure that the design team runs efficiently and effectively, and that the work being produced is intuitive and accessible to users. You’ll also work closely with global product management, marketing and engineering teams to help influence decisions through evidence and data, in order to ensure that the UX deliverables align with the overall company goals.
This position offers the chance to be a key leader in a fast-paced environment where innovative ideas are encouraged and collaboration is a must. The work you do will empower millions of medical professionals worldwide to make critical decisions for their patients.
What you'll do:
- Partner with business organization
- Assemble, execute and refine the organization’s UX/UI vision.
- Support and collaborate with key groups in product management, technology, and marketing to achieve both UX and business outcomes.
- Provide evidence and data to back up UX decisions, and champion initiatives that will drive excellence in the product.
- Represent the UX/UI team through phases of definition, prioritization, resourcing, and strategic execution with executive stakeholders.
- Lead design team
- Work with the design team to provide users a best-in-class experience, ultimately driving growth, engagement and revenue
- Oversee the design team process, from translating concepts into user journeys, to user flows, to wireframes, to high-fidelity designs
- Refine and expand guiding principles that establish a design philosophy across Medscape and the global Affiliate Network
- Support user research throughout the product development cycle, and work with the UX designers to determine the best methodology for a given project
- Advance and communicate the current and future vision of Medscape’s business and the intersection with design & UX.
- Position the team to utilize the latest design trends and processes as well as industry expectations and capabilities
What we’re looking for:
- 10+ years of experience as a UX/UI designer
- 3+ years leading a team of product designers / UX Researchers & Designers
- Experience with the health care industry highly preferred
- Experience leading user research, user validation, concept design, design systems, usability testing, and other modern design practices.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Factors, Fine Arts or a related degree; or equivalent work experience
- Expertise in UX best-practices and research methodologies, including demonstrated success in conducting user research
- In-depth understanding of accessibility principles and track record of delivering high-quality universal design
- Passionate about building great products, innovation and solving complex user problems
- Experience presenting to C-level management and working in a matrixed environment