Software Developer - Data Pipeline
Job ID 2019-1452
WebMD’s Health Services business enables employers and health plans to provide their employees and plan members with access to personalized health and benefit information, decision support technology that helps them make informed benefit, provider and treatment choices and provides telephonic health coaching services.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
We are looking for an experienced, courageous Data Pipeline Developer to play a key role in re-inventing the data landscape at WebMD Health Services. As our incoming data volumes grow and their sources become more disparate we must evolve our technology to scale. This must be accomplished without interrupting service to our existing customer-base or increasing our operational burden. We must also consider an open-ended architecture that allows for additional capabilities in the future.
You will join an enthusiastic team of software craftspeople (architects, developers, qa engineers) responsible for building out the core services that will provide the backbone for our product offering. An ideal candidate for this position can jump in to our on-going projects and come up to speed quickly, exercising independent judgment to make the best use of his or her time. We expect excellent knowledge of data systems, data modeling patterns, refactoring strategies, and agile practices.
This key role will work with the team to:
- Fully participate in the team’s agile process that drives work
- Contribute green-field implementations of new solutions
- Integrate 3rd party solutions
- Refactor existing implementations
- Document solutions and practices
Skills & Experience:
- Experience with and knowledge of data processing and persistence technologies including relational and non-relational technologies. HDFS, Hive, HBase and associated Apache (Hadoop) technologies (Zookeeper, Atlas, Ranger, e.g.) strongly favored.
- Experience in modeling high-throughput, high-availability data ingestion solutions. Familiarity with Spark strongly preferred
- Experience developing in both Windows and Linux environments
- Fluency in Java and .Net competency
- Experience leveraging message broker / queueing such as RabbitMQ or Kafka
- Familiarity with modern, industry-standard data design patterns and best practices
- Familiarity implementing security, privacy, and compliance requirements
- Experience working on a Scrum or Agile team
- Strong interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication
- Independent time management skills
- 3+ years’ software development experience
- 1+ years’ experience in data pipeline development
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience
- Working knowledge of tools like Jira, Confluence and Bitbucket
- Development on cloud-based platforms. Azure or AWS preferred
- Familiarity with Hortonworks HDP and HDF products
- Exposure to compliance frameworks such as HIPAA, HITRUST, or similar
- Familiarity with health data file formats such as HL7
- CI/CD experience such as the GitFlow pattern
As a member of WebMD Health Services, you may have access to confidential information that will require you to follow additional protocols to ensure the security of our data. As a core requirement, you must implement and act in accordance with the organization’s information security policies; protect assets from unauthorized access, disclosure, modification, destruction or interference; execute security processes or activities; and report security events or potential events or other security risks to the appropriate parties within the organization.