Intern - Editorial
Job ID 2021-2900
WebMD is the most recognized and trusted brand of health information and the leading provider of health information services, serving consumers, physicians, healthcare professionals, employers and health plans through our public and private online portals and WebMD the Magazine. The WebMD Health Network includes WebMD, Medscape, MedicineNet, eMedicine, RxList, theheart.org and Medscape Education. Our consumer portals and mobile health applications provide engaging, relevant and credible health and wellness information, personalized health assessment tools and access to online communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Intern – Editorial
Summer Internship – 6/7 – 8/20
The Editorial Intern will cover news, write content and perform other editorial duties as assigned by various editors. In this role, the Intern will write medical and health news and lifestyle stories on a variety of topics, perform interviews with lead researchers and independent commentators, develop a facility with various sources and come up with story ideas on a regular basis, and pitch ideas for more in-depth features. Other editorial responsibilities will be on an as-needed basis.
- Develop ideas for consumer and professional medical stories
- Write quick-turn news stories for same-day publication
- Write full news stories with interviews
- Prepare drafts of polls on health-related topics
- Assist with expert blogger program
- Assist with securing photos for articles
- Assist editors with other editorial projects
- Minimum 3.2 GPA
- Enrolled in Undergrad or Graduate program and returning for the Fall 2021 semester.
- Working toward Bachelor’s degree in in journalism or communications or a medical or science field
- Experience with writing and editing news stories (college newspaper or news site okay)
- Attention to detail, including grammar and style
- Excellent communication skills
- Comfortable working with Google sheets and documents
- Ability to write clear, accurate, and balanced news articles quickly
- Comfortable interviewing subjects for an article
- Good internet research skills
- Familiarity with social media