Job ID 2020-2295
Medscape, a division of WebMD, develops and hosts physician portals and related mobile applications that make it easier for physicians and healthcare professionals to access clinical reference sources, stay abreast of the latest clinical information, learn about new treatment options, earn continuing medical education credits and communicate with peers.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
The Senior Editor will plan and execute Medscape's core content plan for various Medscape specialty sites, as assigned by the team manager. In this role, the Editor is responsible for developing a strategy to engage physicians and other healthcare professionals, working closely with other editors in related specialties. Focused on driving specialist engagement through the creation and posting of compelling features, the Editor will recruit physician authors and develop recurring columns and special features. The Editor is responsible for supporting traffic targets and tracking progress against goals.
- Strategic content planning and budget management for sites
- Communicating with site advisors and site advisory board
- Recruiting authors, including arranging contracts and payments
- Clinical editing, coordination with copyediting and production review
- Site updating (homepage, core resource centers, other features as needed)
- Preparation of weekly and special newsletters
- Coordinating with social media editor to ensure that Medscape maintains an active and engaging experience
- Reviewing site traffic trends and revising content plans based on traffic needs
- Testing innovations on sites (new content, new formats)
- Managing partnerships as needed
- Attending and covering key specialty meetings as needed
- Ensuring that information on sites is up to date and relevant
Required Experience & Background
- Minimum of college degree in journalism or a related field (emphasis on life sciences preferred)
- At least 2 years of experience with a medical publication targeting medical professionals, and 3 more years with any publication.
- Conversant with key/emerging issues in prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
- Familiarity with Web publishing and basic website analytics.