Job ID 2021-3406
WebMD is the most recognized and trusted brand of health information and the leading provider of health information services, serving consumers, physicians, healthcare professionals, employers and health plans through our public and private online portals and WebMD the Magazine. The WebMD Health Network includes WebMD, Medscape, MedicineNet, eMedicine, RxList, theheart.org and Medscape Education. Our consumer portals and mobile health applications provide engaging, relevant and credible health and wellness information, personalized health assessment tools and access to online communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
WebMD is looking for a Database Developer with a diverse background in data integration to join the Data Management team. You don’t need to be a doctor to work at WebMD, but we’re looking for individuals who can diagnose and cure any data problems. Some data is small, some data is very large (1 trillion+ rows), some data is structured, some data is not. Our data comes in all kinds of sizes and shapes, PostgreSQL, Oracle, SQL Server, Vertica, Mongo, Hive to name a few.
We are looking for individuals who can design and solve any data problems using different types of databases and technology supported within our team. We use MPP databases to analyze billions of rows in seconds. We use Spark and Iceberg, batch or streaming to process whatever the data needs are. We use Trino to connect all different types of data and files on the fly without moving them around.
Besides a competitive compensation package, you’ll be working with a great group of technologists interested in finding the right database to use, the right technology for the job in a culture that encourages innovation. If you’re ready to step up and take on some new technical challenges at a well-respected company, this is a unique opportunity for you.
- Design and develop data projects against RDBMS such as Oracle and PostgreSQL
- Enhance and work in our MPP Data Warehouse Vertica
- Contribute to the WebMD Lakehouse imitative using Hive, Spark, Iceberg, Presto/Trino
- Implement ETL/ELT processes using various tools (Pentaho) or programming languages (Java, Python) at our disposal
- Provide reporting needs using Tableau, Pentaho BI as well as Excel
- Analyze business requirements, design and implement required data models
Qualifications: (must have)
- BA/BS in Computer Science or in related field
- 5+ years of experience with RDBMS databases such as Oracle, MSSQL or PostgreSQL
- 1+ years of experience with MPP/distributed databases such as Vertica, Snowflake or Hive
- Experience in both OLAP and OLTP environments
- Programming skills in either Python, Scala or Java
- Proficiency in Linux environment and shell scripting languages
Desired: (nice to have)
- Experience in Hadoop ecosystem moving, processing and securing terabytes of data
- Experience with Hadoop components such as Hive, Impala, HBase, Kafka and Sqoop
- Experience using or willing to learn Spark, dataframes, Pyspark, Iceberg, Presto/Trino
- Web analytics or Business Intelligence a plus
- Understanding of Ad stack and data (Ad Servers, DSM, Programmatic, DMP, etc)