Site Reliability Engineer
Job ID 2019-1739
WebMD is the most recognized and trusted brand of health information and the leading provider of health information services, serving consumers, physicians, healthcare professionals, employers and health plans through our public and private online portals and WebMD the Magazine. The WebMD Health Network includes WebMD, Medscape, MedicineNet, eMedicine, RxList, theheart.org and Medscape Education. Our consumer portals and mobile health applications provide engaging, relevant and credible health and wellness information, personalized health assessment tools and access to online communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
WebMD is looking for a proactive Site Reliability Production Engineer who will be a contributing team member of content delivery and will be a part of the web operations team for all WebMD sites runnig on thousands of servers. They will be in a consistent upswing due to the ongoing company acquisitions WebMD is making. CI/CD, Automation, configuration management, critical monitoring and management systems as well as help develop new platforms and software for these teams to be more efficient. You’ll work closely with development, software architects and SREs. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to develop, build and evangelize tools to better create efficiencies within the organization
What You Will Be Doing at WebMD
- Administering/supporting/configuring our monitoring, deployment, and automation tools, including participation in an on-call rotation
- Authoring code to improve features on WebMD’s core infrastructure automation and provisioning systems, config management, tools and monitoring.
- Automate all provisioning and routine tasks (primarily via Chef recipes, but also ruby, python, bash, Powershell, etc)
- Writing and debugging Chef cookbooks, and helping your colleagues with their automation tasks
- Working with a focus on Linux and Windows platforms
- External monitoring systems for IIS and Apache
What's In It For You
Besides a competitive compensation package, you'll be working with a great group of technologists interested in always finding the right tool for the job in a culture that encourages innovation. You will have an opportunity to learn the newest tools in web technology. If you're ready to take on some new technical challenges at a well-respected company, we'd love to hear from you.
What You Need For This Position (minimum qualifications)
- 3 years’ experience supporting large-scale websites with code written in languages such as Ruby, Python, Go, and Java
- 3 years writing automation scripts in Bash, Powershell, Python, Ruby, or alike
- 1+ years’ experience in the Web Technology Operations, DevOps, or similar experience supporting production web or distributed applications
- Experience with a configuration management tool, such as Chef or Puppet is a big plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or a related field; or a total of at least 5 years of experience in IT
- Extensive experience writing scripts to automate tasks and interact with other systems/APIs (python or ruby, preferred)
... and if you have the following, even better! (preferred qualifications)
- Experience working in hybrid environments (on premise and public cloud)
- Chef for configuration management
- Strong coding in Ruby
- Experience with containerization with Kubernetes or Docker