Advanced Practice Clinician
To see if this position qualifies for a sign-on bonus, click here: Valley Health Sign-On Bonuses
- Entity: Winchester Medical Center
- Shift: Day
The Advanced Practice Clinician , as an employee of Valley Health System, functions as a primary care provider. The scope of practice of any setting is detailed in the practice agreement written for each specific practice site and signed by the APC and the Supervising Physician. COMPETENCIES: Independently performs physical assessments on patient populations Independently orders, performs, and interprets laboratory data including diagnostic procedures. Prescribes drugs according to an approved formulary established by the Boards of Nursing and Medicine in the State of Virginia. Independently dispenses medication under direction of the supervising physician who is authorized to dispense. Independently assess the need for and provides counseling to patients and or families/caretakers on issues such as health promotion, disease prevention strategies, medicine administration, hormonal replacement therapy, sexually transmitted diseases, etc. Understands when referral to physicians and other health care providers is indicated. Provides initial emergency assessment and care. Assesses need for and conducts education on individual or group basis. Knowledgeable in research: collection and processing, interpretation and dissemination of data. Independently or jointly evaluates programs(s), providing input for continuation or expansion of future programs. ESSENTIAL FUNCTION: In the practice, the APC performs the following functions: Conducts physical assessment of patients. Establishes medical and nursing diagnosis for common short term or chronic stable health problems. Orders, performs and interprets laboratory tests. Prescribes drugs according to an approved formulary established by the Boards of Nursing and Medicine in the State of Virginia Dispenses medications as defined in individual Physician/APC practice agreement. Performs therapeutic or corrective measures. Consults with and refers patients to appropriate licensed physicians or other health care providers. Provides emergency care. Provides patient, family/caretaker, and staff education. Participates in research and quality improvement measures. Serves as a community resource as needed, providing specific lectures to students, groups, etc.
· PA must be a graduate of a program accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission for Physician Assistant Programs (ARC-PA)
· Successful completion of respective Board exams is required. Recertification, if required by respective board is necessary
· A bachelor's degree is preferred
· Registered Nurse with current licensure in the State of Virginia required
· Certified as Nurse Practitioner required (specialty dependent upon site/program)
· Licensed to practice as Nurse Practitioner in the State of Virginia required
· Licensed to prescribe medication in the State of Virginia
· Eligibility to prescribe Schedule III drugs in accordance with the regulations of the Commonwealth of Virginia is required
· Must be thoroughly familiar with the principles and practice of a physician's assistant
· Must possess well-developed interpersonal skills to work smoothly and productively with patients as well as administrative, nursing and physician staff members
· Must possess highly developed organizational skills and be very reliable, as this position requires daily access to patient information, which is extremely confidential.· Must be able to perform activities that involve an independent evaluation or treatment of a patient's medical condition.· Must possess background information in the biological, behavioral, medical and nursing services relevant to the practice as a physician's assistant and possess knowledge of the legal, ethical and professional esponsibilities of a physician's assistant.· Must be willing to receive additional training, as needed, and remain current on the skills necessary for the performance of required duties.· Successful completion of an AHA ACLS course if required within one (1) year of the hire date.· The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span, possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status, and interpret the appropriate information needed in order to provide care for the age group of patients served.· 60-day notice of resignation is required.
BLS Certification (Basic Life Support) - American Heart ‘Healthcare Provider’ (HCP) - AHA approved required *
* New hires must have American Heart Association (AHA) appropriate certification prior to completion of orientation.
16 B Advanced Practice Clinician