Oncology Veterinary Technician
Pet Specialists of Austin is seeking an Oncology Veterinary Technician to join our Oncology team!
More than a word, care is present in everything you do. At Pet Specialists of Austin we take action to empower your best care for pets, their families, and yourself.
We are a community of 400 clinics forming an extraordinary network of unparalleled resources and people. Through outstanding learning and career options, comprehensive benefits, and abundant support, you’ll be nurtured and appreciated for who you are and what you bring to the table. We come together in both the joys and heartaches of our profession to lift each other up through laughter and empathy.
And, we have plenty of fun along the way!
Who we are
At Pet Specialists of Austin, you’ll feel the warmth and openness of a small clinic, while having the opportunity and support of a united network.
Pet Specialists of Austin is a 24 hour emergency and specialty referral hospital that invests heavily in our teams' growth and development. Opened in 2021, we pride ourselves on providing the Austin area with compassionate and quality emergency, and specialty care including neurology surgery, internal medicine and oncology. We provide an emotionally intelligent work environment and strive to maintain a positive work/life balance.
Provide your best care with more bridges and less barriers.
Assist superiors and teammates in the successful day-to-day operation of our oncology medicine team, taking a proactive approach. Perform technical and administrative functions while adhering to company-wide practices, protocols, and procedures. Provide top quality care and customer service to all patients and clients. Always maintain patience and compassion. Work with, or under, supervision of a doctor, lead technician, or colleague until receiving the authorization to work on various tasks, independently. We expect an independent worker who values being part of a team.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Associate degree in Veterinary Technology preferred
- Credentials (RVT, CVT, LVT) preferred
- 3-5 years previous experience as a veterinary technician
- Prior customer service experience
- Personal fondness for dogs and cats
- Enjoys and can work as part of a team, as well as an individual contributor
- Proven ability to pay strict attention to detail
- Solid communication skills; ability to express self clearly and professionally
- The ability to follow directions with and without supervision
- Performs patient admission and discharge.
- Handle telephone calls and schedule appointments as needed.
- Promote a positive work environment and show commitment to the Hospital mission, vision, and core values.
- Properly utilize required logs such as controlled drugs, radiology, surgery etc.
- Ensure the working area is always stocked with supplies.
- Maintain cleanliness in the hospital environment.
- Assess patient status, take patient history, perform tech exam, and assist veterinarian in exam room or treatment area.
- Care for hospitalized patients, monitor changes condition and report them to the veterinarian on duty.
- Perform emergency patient care as needed. Care for hospitalized patients as needed.
- Calculate medication doses and administer via all routes - to include CRI medications.
- Perform cystocentesis, venipuncture, and aspirates as directed.
- Place urinary catheters as required.
- Perform pristine venipuncture for phlebotomy and IV catheterization.
- Chart in the patient’s medical record appropriately using correct medical
terminology, symbols, abbreviations, and spelling.
- Apply a variety of bandages.
- Perform chemotherapeutic treatments.
- Safe drug preparation (mixing/dispensing).
- Administration of chemotherapy to patients utilizing safe handling techniques for
biohazardous compounds given orally, intravenously, subcutaneously, or by other methods
- Restraining and comforting a patient during any extended chemotherapy infusions.
- Excellent client communication - discuss and explain discharge instructions,
chemotherapy handling, risks, and side effects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Operate all laboratory equipment in the veterinary practice including microscopes, hematology, and chemistry analyzers, among others.
- Perform microscopy for blood, cytology, and urine analysis, amont
- Prepare samples, packaging, and requisition forms for all referral laboratories.
- Observe all required safety protocols for capturing radiologic images.
- Be able to properly obtain all required diagnostic radiographs, including basic contrast studies
- Be able to properly utilize ultrasound machine for guidance with sample collection.
- Be able to properly obtain diagnostic CT images including use of contrast as directed.
- Restrain as needed for ultrasonography.
- Perform pre-operative physical examination.
- Assist with creation of anesthetic plan and calculate and administer all induction medications.
- Operate a variety of anesthetic machines and circuits including ventilator, rebreather and non-rebreather systems.
- Be proficient in intubating all species seen in the practice.
- Properly induce, maintain, and recover a patient from anesthesia.
- Properly operate and interpret anesthetic monitors including ECG, BP, SPO2, ETCO2, Temperature, etc.
- Maintain the anesthetic machine including pre-op setup, checking, and changing of CO2 granules and oxygen tank maintenance.
- Understand pharmacology of and use of anesthetic and analgesic medications.
- Be able to respond in an anesthetic emergency and assist the veterinarian.
- Perform proper surgical instrument cleaning and maintenance.
- Clean, prepare and sterilize surgical packs.
- Restrain as needed for ultrasonography.
- Train new and current staff in all areas of the hospital as needed.
- Ensure staff maintain proper attitude, knowledge, skills, and abilities always.
- Model professional behavior by wearing appropriate dress, being on time for shifts, addressing gossip, and providing support to upper management.
- Delegate tasks appropriately and aid staff or assume primary nursing duties as required.
- Constantly seek opportunities for staff advancement in knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Knowledge of chemotherapy medications, side effects, protocols, and administration
- Dependable attendance is required.
- Must be able to lift and carry objects and patients up to 40 pounds.
- Must be willing to work regular shifts under high pressure conditions while maintaining composure.
- This position requires the ability to walk, bend, stand, stoop, and reach constantly during a minimum of 8-hour day.
- Visual acuity sufficient to maintain accurate records, recognize people and understand written directions.
- Ability to speak and hear sufficiently to understand, give information in person and over the telephone.
- Fine motor skills adequate for utilizing office equipment and hospital equipment such as laboratory equipment, radiology equipment, etc.
You’ll Grow With Us
Here, you can grow your career as best fits you through access to comprehensive learning and skillset programs. You can build your skills and earn credentials through:
- Our vast, diverse, and free library of continuing education courses - ThriveU
- Live, virtual interactive workshops to develop valuable leadership skills
- A program to designed to teach you the fundamentals of running a pet hospital
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA Accreditation and become a Vet Tech through our fully accredited distance learning program for veterinary technicians
- Scholarship opportunities and tuition reimbursement
And, with so many locations nationwide, you can find and move into any specialty, hospital type, or environment. Join us and provide your best care at a clinic that is deeply rooted within its community and bolstered by the resources of Thrive Pet Healthcare.
Benefits – our care in action
We provide benefits spread comprehensively across your mental, physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing designed to meet your needs as a unique individual. Some key benefits include:
- Paid time off including 8-weeks of full-pay parental leave, bereavement to grieve both humans and pets, and time off for new pet adoptions
- Top quality medical, dental, and vision insurance plus health savings account and flexible spending account
- Pet perks including free exams, discounts on products and services, and more at all Thrive Pet Healthcare locations
- Generously subsidized backup and ongoing care support for children, adults, and pets
- Mental health benefits including coaching and therapy sessions
- 401k with employer contribution and no waiting period
- Continuing education and development support through our library of free CE courses and paid time off to complete
- Scholarship opportunities and student loan support program and so much more!
At Thrive Pet Healthcare, we celebrate and embrace the uniqueness and diversity of all of our team members, pet parents, and pets. We strive to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture where all team members belong and feel empowered.