Smith Veterinary Hospital is hiring a full-time Kennel Assistant/Kennel Technician to join a great team!
A Kennel Assistant assists veterinarians and veterinary assistants with patient care/cleanliness and hospital cleanliness.
- Competitive pay
- Medical/dental/vision insurance
- 401k match
- Paid parental leave and purr-ental leave
- And so much more!
Reports To: Kennel and Veterinary Assistant Supervisors, Medical Director
General Summary: A Kennel Assistant assists veterinarians and veterinary assistants with patient care/cleanliness and hospital cleanliness.
Essential Job Functions:
- Uses practice management software, restrains patients, provides patients with bedding, food, and water as appropriate, walks dogs according to protocol, cleans and disinfects cages, runs, litter pans, and food dishes, washes dries and stores bedding and towels, records patient vital signs, stocks hospital supplies, maintains kennel and grounds, cleans all areas of the hospital, all in a timely manner. Follows instructions.
- Communicates pertinent information about patients to vet assistants and/or veterinarians.
- Maintains hospital and patient cleanliness using aseptic technique, proper protective equipment, and isolation procedures.
- Operates and maintains medical equipment.
- Responsibilities may grow to include: takes radiographs, discharges patients, and captures basic patient charges.
- Frequently lifts and moves patients up to 35 pounds, and occasionally lifts up to 50 pounds.
- Frequently stands or walks for up to 10 hours a day, as well as reaches, grasps, bends, stoops, kneels, crouches, pulls, pushes, and crawls.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the services the hospital provides and the species it treats.
- Knowledge of pet care products including pet foods, pet retail items, and medications.
- Ability to read and write in English.
- Ability to communicate with employees and clients in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to multi-task and establish priorities.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and ensure accuracy of patient care, charge entry, etc.
- Skill in operating equipment, including computers and software.
- Familiarity with employee handbook and safety protocols.
Education and Experience:Previous experience in the veterinary field preferred but not required.
Why work at Smith Veterinary Hospital?
Smith Veterinary Hospital has been serving the animals of Santa Fe and the surrounding areas for more than 70(!) years. Through the dedication and support of animal lovers, the hospital will continue to provide excellent animal care well into the future.
We offer incredible benefits including medical, dental, vision, & life insurance, paid parental leave, matching 401(k), PTO, generous pet benefits, and much more! Visit our website for more information about our Hospital: https://svh-nm.com/.