Part-Time Animal Caretaker (Cedar Park)
Job Description for Kennel Team Member
Reports to: Office Manager, Practice Manager
Kennel Team Members are responsible for the day-to-day care of boarding and day care pets. This includes feeding, watering, cleaning, walking, bathing, medicating, and monitoring the well being of dogs, cats and, occasionally, other companion animals. A love for animals and the ability to warmly welcome and compassionately care for a wide variety of pets is essential.
Kennel Team Members need excellent communication and client service skills in order to admit and discharge pets and reassure nervous “parents” that their pets are well cared for at our facility. The Kennel Team Member must remain professional and courteous to clients and co-workers while handling multiple tasks at once with many interruptions.
Kennel Team Members must be able to empathize with clients and remain compassionate and well-mannered if a client becomes emotional or discourteous.
Kennel Team Members should have a firm belief in the quality of care we provide and communicate this sense of assurance to our clients. The Kennel Team Member must learn and understand our services and health recommendations for boarders and day care pets and be able to clearly communicate these to our clients when admitting.
Kennel Team Members must have sufficient physical strength, mobility, and stamina to lift and/or move heavy pets and objects, the dexterity and confidence to handle and administer medications or bathe pets that may be scared or aggressive, and the ability to monitor pets for signs of distress or disease.
Providing for the comfort of pets and sanitation of the facility by keeping the kennel area and grounds clean and odor free is an essential part of the daily routine.
Include but are not limited to:
- Understanding of hospital policies and procedures
- Keep kennel and grounds clean, orderly, and clutter free
- Remove trash and sweep and mop daily
- Laundry (surgical and bedding)
- Stock as needed
- Attend staff and departmental meetings
- Client communication including answering telephone by 3rd ring in courteous and friendly manner and all patient properly admits/releases at boarding kennel
- Be able to provide phone shoppers with answers to their questions to establish value associated with the services we provide.
- Make appointment and reservations for all boarding patients.
- Obtain accurate health and vaccination history for all boarding patients.
- Obtain information from owner regarding pet’s medical needs and communicate them to the hospital.
- Obtain information regarding accurate medications and administration, document, and communicate to others
- Receive and accurately record client payments
- Reconcile credit card, check, and cash transactions daily
ANIMAL CARE DUTIES
- Provide compassionate patient care, with attention to detail, including keeping patients clean, dry, and comfortable and alerting hospital to changes in patients condition while boarding
- Administer Capstar on admit and release days
- Ability to medicate patients and log in computer
- Record weight at admit and every 3 days during stay
- Apply name band to patient at admit and remove before release
- Put pets in secure cage with water and attach necessary paperwork (cage card)
- Perform playtimes daily
- Note any medical concerns of pets and contact client to get permission for medical treatment
- Clean and sterilize runs and cages daily
- Walk (3 times per day,) feed and medicate (as instructed,) and log each daily
- Monitor and log for urination/defecation habits and if vomiting/diarrhea has occurred daily
- Bathe, trim nails and brush out patients
- Must be able to lift objects weighing 40 lbs or ask for assistance if over 40 lbs.
- Completion of high school degree
- Must be able to work energetically for entire shift, sometimes exceeding 9-10 hours per day. Shift does not end until all duties are completed.