Sample arrival at the lab which includes
- Checking requisition to make sure tubes are correct, and the test order is correct. Checking EZVET for information if not correct.
- Making sure that tech name/initials are on the form
- Tubes/specimens are correct for the tests requested.
Enter the sample into Polytech
- The entry should have transferred from EZvet, so make sure the information is correct.
- Add the tests which are needed for polytech. i.e. ADIFF, MDIFF
- Print the labels.
Attach the labels to all specimens
- Put LTT into a rack for the techs (at the accession bench)
- Put SST tubes or GTT into the appropriate centrifuges
- Have transfer tubes available and pour off centrifuged samples. Place in rack for techs.
- Place urines and fecal specimens in fridge or give to techs.
- Clean benches with bleach, make sure accession area is free of clutter when leaving
- Fill accession containers with transfer tubes etc.
- Clean centrifuges in accession area.
- File all accession sheets with attached reports in numerical order and file in the lab file cabinet when complete
- File all QC reports in file cabinet after month end– keep binders up to date, file calibration reports, leaving 2 calibrations for each analyte within the binder.
- Organize samples in fridge, discarding Hold samples after 2 weeks.
Further training will include:
Send out tests
- Checking that send outs are correctly ordered and going to the correct reference lab and paperwork is complete.
- Checking prices for sendout
- Make sure correct samples submitted
- Package sendouts and take to pharmacy counter for sendout or notify Fed Ex re pickup.
- Take samples to Antech box
- Check for results and enter these into polytech.
- Data entry of the manual test results.
- Collate and file the polytech reports (in binders by dates) checking at the same time for discrepancies, missing final reports.
Urinalysis and Fecal preparation
- Prepare urine specimen for techs (spin down urine)
- Do dip stick and record appropriate results onto back of accession sheet.
- Leave spun sample after pour off of supernatant for techs to read sediment
- Prepare fecal sample with sugar solution, centrifuge and leave for techs.