POSITION SUMMARY: The Safety Specialist will be responsible for providing assistance (develop policies/procedures, conduct safety audits and inspections, perform training, administer safety programs, etc.) to the safety and health efforts of the Operations as directed by the Complex Safety Manager.
SAFETY IS A CONDITION:
At Pilgrim’s, Safety Is A Condition, which means the safety of our team members comes first - always.
We have implemented safety measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19. We are working to ensure social distancing within our facility. We have installed physical barriers throughout our facility such as plexi-glass or plastic barriers between team member workstations. Each day, temperature screens are performed for each employee and visitor before entering the facility. Face coverings are provided and required over the mouth and nose at all times when inside the facility, and enhanced cleaning and sanitation is regularly performed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned
- Help identify and anticipate safety and health concerns and hazards by surveying environmental, operational, and occupational conditions; assessing new equipment and procedures; investigating violations and recommending preventive programs.
- Guides and promotes safe work performance by developing safety systems, policies, and procedures and training managers and employees.
- Complies with Federal, State and Local safety regulations by studying existing and new legislation; interpreting standards; enforcing adherence to regulations and advising management on needed actions.
- Enforces safety policies by conducting audits; reporting statistics and counseling managers and employees.
- Promotes a safe environment by coordinating and cooperating with plant Managers, Supervisors, and Partners.
- Maintains safety information database by developing information requirements and maintaining an information system.
- Maintains safety staff by helping Safety Manager recruit, select, orient, schedule and training new Safety employees.
- Maintains safety staff job results by coaching and counseling employees; and planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks and participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to corporate safety team projects and activities.
- Assists the Safety Manager maintain and provide Management, Supervisors and employees with information on all government safety regulations and changes to procedures that have an impact on our environment and their jobs.
- Other duties as required by management and supervisor.
EXPECTATIONS – all Team Members
- Observe & enforce all company personnel, quality, safety, and food safety policies.
- Maintains a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner so that you work effectively and cooperatively with customers, clients, coworkers, and leadership teams.
- Participates in process improvement and problem solving utilizing continuous improvement and rational thinking methodologies such as Six Sigma, and participates in or supports the E$P program
- Recognizes and acts on incidents and safety risks. Consistently practices, and enforces safe work habits and drives those habits throughout the organization
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s Degree in industrial safety, industrial hygiene, safety engineering or related experience in the field preferred.
- 0-2 years of experience.
- Must be capable of managing multiple tasks effectively, as well as possess the knowledge of applying applicable OSHA regulations.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule and occasional travel is required.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- To perform this job successfully, applicant must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION: Applications accepted until Friday, June 11, 2021