Job Interest Sheet
Job title: Plant Engineer
Reports to: Todd Carl
Salaried Grade: Exempt
Type of position:
Hours: Flexible as needed or required
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or five (5) additional years of applicable experience
- Minimum 10 years of progressively more responsible positions within industrial maintenance field and minimum five (5) years within a food processing industry
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Extensive background in ammonia refrigeration, steam generation, air compressor technology, chain drives, all types of conveying systems, variable frequency motor controls, maintenance of sanitary conditions. Job responsibilities typically require extended hours
- Must be able to demonstrate effective people skills
- Basic computer skills and proficiency with basic office software (Word and Excel)
- Supervisory Skills – Maintenance and Utilities Superintendents (3-5) through whom 100-150 people report, Project Engineer and Draftsperson, Administrative Assistant and Planners
- Insure reliability of plant equipment and establish and meet downtime and operational goals per shift for the fabrication and slaughter areas as well as for outlying areas such as warehousing, waste water treatment, etc.
- Manage training programs to maintain the skill level of the hourly and salaried workforce.
- Motivate interest in, and insure compliance with, stringent plant safety programs while maintaining high levels of labor efficiency and effectiveness in responding to breakdowns and plant interruptions.
- Actively involve maintenance personnel in HAACP reviews and insure their expertise is used to improve food safety wherever applicable.
- Maintain close communications with operations and other plant departments and develop an appreciation for overall plant performance issues in all employees within the department.
- Assist the Plant VP in assuring continuous plant improvement.
- Insure reliable and cost effective operation of utility systems that are on line continuously. This includes steam generation, ammonia refrigeration, air compression, electrical distribution and others.
- Develop capital investment ideas that support overall plant profitability and develop and maintain the organizational capability to accomplish these projects.
- Develop and maintain contractors and vendors to supplement plant resources. Represent the corporation in dealing with these outside firms.
- Evaluate the performance of superintendents and foreman; take corrective or remedial action as needed.
- Represent the entire plant’s needs and point of view in discussions with corporate engineering, regarding technical standards, project scope development and accomplishment.
- Manage the storeroom for the best economic advantage of all departments in the plant.
- Develop and grow a trusting relationship with the USDA to insure that their requirements are being met.
- Participate in the negotiation of and the administration of the union contract so that all management personnel interpret it fairly and consistently throughout the plant
Approved by: Vicky Cervantes
Title: Employment Manager
Posting Date: 08/16/2022 Closing Date: 08/26/2022
JBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer