Our Company, Your Opportunity:
Nearly 150 years ago, Gustavus Swift founded Swift & Company. He was a true pioneer whose passion and innovative spirit transformed the meat industry. This commitment to transformation mirrors that of Swift Prepared Foods today. Swift Prepared Foods (formerly Plumrose USA) is the prepared foods arm of JBS USA, one of the world’s largest meat companies. This is a unique opportunity to be in a start-up environment, with the backing of a Global CPG Powerhouse. This is a role for someone who is looking for an entrepreneurial challenge in a company with aspirations to be leaders within the CPG world. The position will have both strategic and tactical elements and the person may wear different hats. This is an opportunity for people who want to think Big, dream Big and work to make Big ideas a reality.
To be THE BEST in all we do. We are completely focused on our business, ensuring the BEST products and services to our customers, a relationship of trust with our suppliers and profitability for our shareholders. All this, we do to provide an opportunity for a better future for all of our TEAM MEMBERS.
Determination, Simplicity, Availability, Humility, Sincerity, Discipline, Ownership
Scope of Position:
The Plant Controller is responsible for managing and directing all the finance efforts of the plant as well as supporting other administrative plant functions, as needed. Accountable for all financial aspects of the plant in collaboration with plant management, while ensuring compliance with company policies. The Plant Controller will be instrumental in bringing analytical analyses to the leadership team to enable decisions that directly impact business performance and outcomes.
- Assist management with monthly/quarterly/annual reporting package.
- Perform P&L explanation for key variances in Price, Mix, Volume and Cost Drivers.
- Analyze current and past financial data and performance.
- Prepare reports and projections based on this analysis.
- Establish and evaluate profit plans.
- Identify trends in financial performance and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Provide financial models and forecasting.
- Prepare budgeting and forecasts including ZBB (zero based budgeting).
- Maintain accounting procedures and documentation. Maintain internal finance systems. Drive performance measurements from a financial view and monitor key accounts.
- Responsible for providing the organization and its management with appropriate financial and operating information. This individual and the accounting staff are expected to work with other department groups on problems involving financial reporting, controls, and performance.
- Prepare annual budget in accordance with corporate process and manage the budget and estimates monthly through the year.
- Work with the Plant Manager and procurement team to reduce the inventory balance at the plant level.
- Lead the effort to identify cost savings improvement ideas for the plant. Track the actual performance of these savings, while partnering with local plant management and divisional team for cost savings ideas. Participate in continuous improvement teams to help drive improvement and positive change.
- Conduct plant audits to review inventories of fixed assets, finished product, work in process, raw materials, packaging and spare parts in the storeroom.
- Review/update and create standard cost for each SKU for finished goods or WIP.
- Ensure all plant personnel and supervisors are adequately trained in all required accounting procedures, audit and review as needed.
- Review the storeroom to ensure cycle counts are complete and inventory is accurate – assist in full physical inventory as needed.
- First line approver in the procurement process on all plant requisitions. Responsible for making sure that the proper general ledger account and cost centers are correctly being used. This includes classification of plant and capital expenditures.
- Prepare all Capital Expenditure requests in AFETS for routing approvals and ensure all proper supporting documents are attached.
- Ensure all accounts payable and supplier inquiries are responded to in a timely fashion and effective corrective action occurs.
- Coordinate with quality to ensure all non-conforming material is properly placed and released from Quality Hold and dispositioned correctly.
- Perform month-end reconciliation and accounting close processes.
- Heavy focus on internal controls. Identify financial risks and develop appropriate action plans.
- Supervise and motivate staff and ensure successful completion of accounting duties and reports.
- Monitor performance of direct reports. Review direct reports and approve performance appraisals.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum education requirement: BA or BS in Accounting
- 5-7 years of manufacturing experience in a senior level finance or accounting position and a solid understanding of standard cost accounting
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements, and projections. Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles
- MS Office proficiency, SAP proficiency strongly preferred
- Excellent professional communication – both written and verbal
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Collaboration skills
- A team player with a positive, can do attitude and agility to flex multiple work streams fluidly
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently required to sit; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision and ability to adjust focus
- Office and plant setting: the plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold (non-weather related), and working near moving mechanical parts
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area