Graduate Journalism Training Scheme
Job Title:Graduate Journalism Training Scheme
Job Type:6-month paid programme
Start Date:January 2022
Application Deadline:Monday 1st November 2021
Argus is a major provider of energy and commodities markets information to the world. We want to find a small number of brilliant graduates to join a paid journalism training programme at our busy central-London office.
You should have writing talent in English, a real desire to be a reporter, an analytical mind, a strong work ethic, the ability to learn fast, and an interest in how markets work. In the course of a six-month programme, you will be provided with intensive training in business and economic journalism, commodity markets reporting, market analysis, and the production of reports, with hands-on experience in a number of different market-reporting teams as well as with our news team. At the end of the six months, top performers will be offered full-time permanent employment as reporters.
The training scheme:
- You will be provided with four weeks of intensive training followed by two rotations on different commodity sectors which could include oil, metals and generating fuels
- Following training, you will be involved in gathering data and market intelligence to contribute to producing weekly and monthly price assessments, market analysis, news and reports
- You will have daily contact with commodities producers, consumers, distributors, traders and other key market figures to build relationships
- You will help to build and curate data sets that help explain market dynamics
- By the end of the programme, you will need to demonstrate proficiency in reporting and writing breaking news, and in analysing markets for daily and weekly market commentaries
Skills and Experience needed:
We are looking for:
- A minimum 2.1 undergraduate degree
- Ability to learn quickly, to multi-task and to work in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office – in particular in Excel
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Fluency in English. Other European languages are an advantage
- Demonstrable interest in global business, politics and economics
- People who are self-motivating, well-organised, and inquisitive by nature
- Competitive graduate trainee salary
- 12 days’ paid holiday (dates fixed as part of the programme)
Our rapidly growing, award winning business offers a dynamic environment for talented, entrepreneurial professionals to achieve results and grow their careers. Argus recognises and rewards successful performance and as an Investor in People, we promote professional development and retain a high-performing team committed to building our success.
How to Apply
If this program grabs your attention, please send us your CV accompanied by a cover letter. You should also submit 300 words that describe what you would like to achieve from this programme.
Application Deadline – 1st November 2021
Apply via our website www.argusmedia.com/en/careers/open-positions
Testimonials from the 2020/2021 scheme:
“The Argus editorial programme provides a thorough training programme on how to be a market reporter — how to understand, talk about and write about commodity markets in a clear, concise yet interesting way. It is a programme that supports you and sets you up for a career within the industry. If you’re like me and have an analytical mind, a strong writing ability and a desire to communicate ideas and talk with new people daily, this is a programme you should consider.”
“This programme is a great opportunity to develop a wide range of skills, from writing news articles and market commentaries to updating and analysing large datasets. I strongly encourage anyone who is looking to kickstart their career in journalism to apply for the role, as you will receive excellent training from day one and be supported throughout your journey, as well as gaining extensive experience in fast-moving commodity markets.”
“The Argus programme offers young journalists the rare opportunity to cover stories at the heart of the global economy early in their career, while developing essential data journalism and writing skills. The training I received helped me to make sense of the niche world of commodity markets, and gave me confidence to write news stories, analyses, and commentaries on the markets I cover. This programme is ideal for anyone who is eager to learn something new every day.”
About Argus Media
Argus is a fast-growing global B2B media company providing essential information on commodity markets. As a business, we continue to grow and evolve, adding new markets, new services, new delivery options and improved analytical tools.
Argus Media is committed to ensuring career and personal growth for all its staff and provides extensive training and career development opportunities, as well as participation in employee-led initiatives, including a women’s network.
Argus is an independent media organization with more than 1,000 staff. It is headquartered in London and has 25 offices in the world’s principal commodity trading and production centres. Argus produces price assessments and analysis of international energy and other commodity markets and offers bespoke consulting services and industry-leading conferences.
Companies in 140 countries around the world use Argus data to index physical trade and as benchmarks in financial derivative markets as well as for analysis and planning purposes.
Argus was founded in 1970 and is a privately held UK-registered company. It is owned by employee shareholders, global growth equity firm General Atlantic and Hg, the specialist software and technology services investor.