Data Engineer - R and R shiny (FTC - 18 Months)
Data Engineer – Pricing
(FTC 18 Months)
Argus is an independent media organisation with 1,300 staff. It is headquartered in London and has 29 offices in the world’s principal commodity trading and production centres. Argus produces price assessments and analysis of international energy and other commodity markets and offers bespoke consulting services and industry-leading conferences. Companies in 140 countries around the world use Argus data to index physical trade and as benchmarks in financial derivative markets as well as for analysis and planning purposes.
Argus was founded in 1970 and is a privately held UK-registered company. It is owned by employee shareholders, global growth equity firm General Atlantic and Hg, the specialist software and technology services investor. Argus Media is committed to ensuring career and personal growth for all its staff and provides extensive training and career development opportunities, as well as participation in employee-led initiatives, including a women’s network. Our core values are Excellence, Integrity, Partnership and Inclusivity.
Due to the continued growth of the business and the importance of the data we use daily, we are currently looking for a for a senior data engineer to join our global Data team in Mumbai.
You will work closely with internal clients of the data team to support and maintain R (incl. R Shiny), Excel and database-based processes for gathering data, calculating prices and producing the reports and data feeds. The work also involves writing robust automated processes in R.
The team supports Argus’ key business processes every day, as such you will be required to work on a shift-based rota with other members of the team supporting the business until 8pm. Typically support hours run from 11pm to 8pm with each member of the team participating 2/3 times a week.
Note that this position will support the Global Project on a rotating basis (24/7) during the course of the next year.
- Support and development of data processing systems
- Client support with queries relating to
- integration of Argus data and metadata into client systems
- data validation
- provision of data
- Data and systems support to Argus’ staff
- Project management
- Support and training of junior team members
- Maintenance and development of existing systems
- metadata modification
- data cleansing
- data checking
Required Skills and Experience:
- Significant recent experience of developing tools using R (incl., R Shiny applications) in a commercial (work) environment.
- Good knowledge and experience of SQL, preferably in Oracle or MySQL, including stored procedures, functions, and triggers
- Experience with version control systems (e.g., Git) and Unit Testing in R is required.
- Ability to work both as part of a team and autonomously
- Excellent communication skills
- At least 2 years’ experience in a similar role
Desired Skills and Experience:
- BS degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Business, Engineering or related field.
- Experience in visualisation techniques is desirable.
- Any experience working with energy markets and commodities data is highly desirable
- Experience developing production-grade scalable applications in R.
- Ability to interact with non-technical people in plain language
- Innovative thinker with good problem-solving abilities and attention to detail
- Numerically proficient
- Self-motivated with ability to work independently, prioritising tasks to meet deadlines
- Customer service focused
- Competitive salary and company bonus scheme
- Flexible Working Policy
- Group healthcare scheme
- 18 days annual leave
- 8 days casual leave
- Extensive internal and external training
Please send in your application via our official careers website at https://www.argusmedia.com/en/careers/open-positions.
Jobs posted on other websites and that do not link to our careers website may not be legitimate and may be fraudulent. If you are contacted by someone whom you suspect may not be appropriately representing Argus, please send the details to us via an email with “Recruitment Fraud” in the subject title.