Crude News Reporter
Job Title: Crude News Reporter
Job Type: Permanent
Reporting Relationship: Editor
Location: Houston, Texas
Argus is one of the world’s largest companies providing news, analysis and price information to commodities and energy markets. We report first-hand on what’s happening globally in the energy space – from hydrogen to coal, crude oil to green ammonia, carbon markets to wind farms. And we do the same for economically vital markets in agriculture, fertilizers, metals and chemicals.
We employ almost 500 journalists worldwide and have 26 offices in Europe, Russia, the Middle East, Africa, South Asia, China, Japan, Singapore and North and South America.
We are looking for a resourceful reporter to join our Americas news team. This position will collaborate with colleagues reporting from Houston, New York and Washington, DC, to cover the crude industry, with a focus on producers, pipelines, terminals and other crude-related infrastructure in the US and Canada.
You will be a skilled writer, a lateral thinker as well as a logical one, driven by an interest in the economics of markets. You will be able to engage with contacts, develop relationships, and work collaboratively.
You do not need prior commodities or energy industry experience. Intelligence, curiosity, writing ability and a real desire to produce quality journalism are the primary qualities we look for in a very diverse pool of candidates.
What is involved
The job is a challenging mix of keeping tabs on dozens of companies and projects daily for breaking news while developing longer term analysis stories. This includes covering crude pipelines, crude by rail, regulatory issues governing pipelines and rail, the physical supply of crude, mergers and acquisitions, court settlements, permitting, cybersecurity concerns, community and environmental backlash to projects, exports and weekly and monthly data reporting.
In addition to working with other reporters and editors on the news team, this position works closely with colleagues covering the US crude markets.
We provide extensive training around news writing, the industry, source development and data analysis.
There are opportunities to travel, meet contacts, and present papers at conferences and on webinars. There are also opportunities to work in other Argus offices around the world.
Argus customers expect the highest standards of analysis, accuracy and journalistic ethics; deadlines are unbreakable; and a mix of self-reliance and teamwork are essential. But working for Argus offers an outstanding grounding in many vital skillsets and areas of human knowledge, working on the frontiers of the energy transition and the future economics of the world.
If this is for you, we’d love to hear from you.
- Monitor markets, corporate, legal and regulatory/policy activity to produce daily news and analysis stories
- Analyse data to create insights into crude movements
- Regular contact with pipeline operators, key market sources to build relationships and gather market intelligence
- Develop two-way relationships with contacts and share market intelligence
- Contribute copy to relevant publications and a real-time news service
- Attend meetings, conferences and industry events to build contacts, report on news and represent Argus Media externally
Education and Experience
- A university graduate with a strong degree
- Ability to develop, source and write news on deadline
- Excellent written, grammatical and numeracy skills
- Ability to analyze data and write engaging content
- Excellent communication skills with aptitude to network and build contacts
- Strong software skills, notably Excel, and ability to learn new software
- Strong co-ordination and time management skills with the ability to work well within a team
- Prior experience of working in the financial, energy, or journalism sector is useful but not essential
- Additional languages useful but not essential
- Self-motivated, able to use initiative and equipped with an inquisitive nature
- Critical thinking with excellent communication skills
About Argus Media
Argus Media is committed to ensuring career and personal growth for all its staff and provides extensive training and career development opportunities, as well as participation in employee-led initiatives, including a women’s network.
Argus is an independent media organization with more than 1,000 staff. It is headquartered in London and has 26 offices in the world’s principal commodity trading and production centers. Argus produces price assessments and analysis of international energy and other commodity markets and offers bespoke consulting services and industry-leading conferences.
Companies in 140 countries around the world use Argus data to index physical trade and as benchmarks in financial derivative markets as well as for analysis and planning purposes.
Argus was founded in 1970 and is a privately held UK-registered company. It is owned by employee shareholders, global growth equity firm General Atlantic and Hg, the specialist software and technology services investor.
Our rapidly growing, award winning business offers a dynamic environment for talented, entrepreneurial professionals to achieve results and grow their careers. Argus recognizes and rewards successful performance and as an Investor in People, we promote professional development and retain a high-performing team committed to building our success.
- Competitive salary and company bonus scheme
- Group medical, dental and vision plans
- Company paid short term and long term disability and life insurance plan
- Group 401(k) safe harbor retirement plan with a 6% company match
- 20 vacation days your first year, up to a maximum of 30 days
- Subsidized gym membership
- Extensive internal and external training
Apply via our website www.argusmedia.com/en/careers/open-positions
Argus Media is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Equal Employment Opportunity Posters If you’d like to view a copy of the company’s affirmative action plan or policy statement, please contact us. If you have a disability and you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to submit an online application, please contact us. This email is provided exclusively to assist disabled job seekers whose disability prevents them from being able to apply online. Only messages sent for this purpose will be returned. Messages sent for other purposes, such as following up on an application or technical issues not related to a disability, will not receive a response.