Manager Engineering - Test
In a world increasingly driven by software innovation, Wind River is pioneering the technologies to accelerate the digital transformations of our customers with a new generation of Mission Critical AI Systems, with the most exacting standards for safety, security, performance, and reliability. Success will be determined by our ability to innovate with velocity and deliver at the solutions level.
Wind River’s impact spans critical infrastructure domains such as telecommunications, including 5G; industrial (automation, sustainable energy, robotics, mining), connected healthcare and medical devices, automotive (connected and self-driving vehicles), and aerospace & defense. We were recognized by VDC Research in July 2020 as #1 in Edge Compute OS Platforms, overtaking Microsoft as the overall commercial leader. Wind River regularly wins industry recognitions for excellence in IoT security, cloud and edge computing, as well as 8 consecutive years as a “Top Work Place”. If you’re passionate about amplifying your impact on the world, in a caring, respectful culture with a growth mindset, come join us and help lead the way into the future of the intelligent edge!
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Within the Wind River Cloud team, we work with large-scale projects like Kubernetes, Docker, OpenStack and fast-paced Open-Source technologies that are in high demand from our customers. Wind River Cloud has adopted these technologies into the core of our product, which is driving us to find experienced and high-performing individuals that can learn and contribute to these container and virtualization solutions. In addition, Wind River Cloud is a leading contributor to the Open Source StarlingX cloud native project, to manage and maintain the critical infrastructure for highly distributed Edge solutions, including 5G, Autonomous Vehicles, Industrial Automation and Augmented Reality. Wind River contributes and builds upon the work within StarlingX to ensure it meets the demands of these critical applications.
- Managing a team of test engineers contributing to ongoing releases of Wind River Cloud Software including career planning, goal setting, performance assessment, coaching, performance improvement, compensation, conflict resolution, and other people management tasks
- Defining the scope of testing for each release/delivery and estimating and managing the test effort of each delivery.
- Defining and applying test methodologies, test measurements and metrics for the product and within test team.
- Leading/contributing to test activities in an open source
- Support and encourage solid engineering processes (e.g. Agile, Lean, TDD, kanban, scrum, etc.)
- Sprint planning and coordination across scrum teams
- Working with a team of other development and program managers to coordinate work and assure delivery of projects and products
- Support and enablement of unit and feature testing within the product development teams
- Process development and implementation for the direct team and department.
- Contributing to budget allocation and monitoring
- Interfacing to various other parts of the company such as Services, Support, Engineering Operations, and Product Management
- 7-9+ years of relevant software test or development experience. Experience in Cloud technologies such as OpenStack, Kubernetes and/or StarlingX operating system an asset.
- 5+ years people/project management as part of a larger team with interdependent responsibilities in an engineering environment.
- Engineering management skills as demonstrated by experience in planning and managing test activities for multiple engineering projects using modern project management techniques; building and motivating a test team to accomplish progressively aggressive goals; and superior skills in diagnosing gaps and solving typical issues in test.
- Personal skills such as: time planning and organization; nimbleness; verbal and written communications; effectiveness as a team member; enthusiastic leadership; personal drive, energy, resourcefulness, and perseverance; integrity; adaptability to new and uncertain environments; a desire to improve practices and processes; and enthusiastic leadership.
- Experience contributing to open-source projects and leading test activities in the open.
- Ability to be an effective member of a team of managers including: a drive to accomplish the collective goals of the team; the ability to fairly and effectively negotiate; and an attitude that puts the good of the team ahead of one's individual needs when required.
- Experience in people management including career planning; performance assessments; performance improvement; setting and evaluating goals; compensation; and general care of development engineers.
- Relevant technical BS, Engineering or computer science degree.
- Business/management degree or coursework desirable. (Experience can substitute)
Wind River is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.