Schweitzer-Mauduit International, Inc. (NYSE: SWM) (“SWM” or “the Company”) is a publicly traded, multinational, diversified engineered materials company which conducts business in over 90 countries and operates 24 production locations worldwide. Operating locations include the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, France, Italy, Belgium, Luxembourg, Poland, China, India and Brazil. SWM operates in two business segments, Advanced Materials & Structures and Engineered Papers. For the fiscal year 2020, consolidated revenues were over $1 billion.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Payroll Analyst is a key role in our North America payroll shared services organization. The Payroll Analyst ensures the timely and accurate delivery of payroll processing in compliance with all laws and regulations as well as provides accounting and reporting support. The position is a subject matter expert for payroll processing and serves as a resource for management and employees and supports cross functional team initiatives and projects. This role must be able to identify problems and help provide solutions process improvements and internal controls.
The individual must be highly motivated and a self-starter, has a customer-first mindset, and work effectively as part of a team. This is an exciting opportunity to utilize payroll expertise in a challenging and rewarding environment.
- Responsible for the accurate and timely processing of payroll related transactions in compliance with company policy and all federal, state and local laws and regulations utilizing automated payroll processing systems, and assisting in quarter and year end payroll activities
- Auditing payroll input data, audit reports and supporting documentation to verify authenticity and completeness of data for the purposes of ensuring accurate payroll processing
- Responsible for processing non-routine and unscheduled transactions including special payments, executive compensation, and payroll adjustments after verification and approval from appropriate leaders.
- Responsible for monitoring, responding and resolving inquiry emails in the payroll mailbox coordinating with other team members to ensure all emails are tagged and processed
- Participate in payroll related general ledger activities including preparing payroll and other compensation information for journal entries and reconciling payroll balances; understand the impact of mapping payroll transactions to the general ledger as well as integrations between the payroll system(s) and other relevant systems
- Assist with tax agency issues and account activities as needed
- Support the organization in the use of the timekeeping systems and maintain system integrity.
- Assist with maintaining and improving internal control procedures and processes; maintain process documentation and procedures to ensure accuracy, effectiveness and reliability of the established payroll processes and controls
- Prepare analyses, projections, and other financial information and reporting as requested
- Perform payroll system testing for enhancements and upgrades to validate expected functionality as designed; recommend and implement system and procedural improvements and changes.
- Actively participate in special projects that meet the needs of customers, enhance efficiencies and streamline department processes and procedures
- Contribute to continuous improvement initiatives by identifying opportunities to improve efficiency, adjust to changing conditions and enhance internal controls
- Serve as a subject matter expert for payroll and partner effectively with Human Resources, IT, Finance and other functions to ensure appropriate flow of data and reporting.
- Provide timely customer service to employees, ensuring research and responses are thorough.
- Cross-train with other team members to assure adequate coverage, accurate and consistent information and timeliness of processing
- Ad Hoc reporting and other projects and tasks as assigned by manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or 3-5 years of technical payroll and time tracking experience preferably in a high-volume hourly employee payroll environment or equivalent combination of education and experience. ADP payroll and TLM experience Required.
- Excellent attention to detail and analytical skills.
- Experience in all relevant payroll functions, including payroll processing and balancing, internal controls and payroll taxes.
- Experience with automated payroll systems and reporting, including ADP.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to meet critical deadlines, manage priorities and workflow, and work effectively in a fast-paced team environment.
- Self-starter with ability to adapt to changing business needs.
- Ability to work in and contribute to a collaborative, team-oriented environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent customer service orientation and interpersonal skills with the ability to forge productive relationships with customers, payroll team and cross-functional teams.
- Strong listening skills and ability to work with others to understand their needs and translate those needs into deliverables.
- Positive and consistent attitude.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or other protected status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. SWM International is committed to help individuals with disabilities participate in the workforce, and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at SWM, please email our Talent Acquisition Team at [email protected]