Senior Process Engineer
We’re SWM. We’re Essential.
At SWM, we’ll never be okay with status quo. We are committed to raising standards, providing growth opportunities to our employees and giving our customers the answers, the value, and the edge they need to compete and win.
At SWM, Essential isn’t just what we make. It’s what we do.
Every day, our papers, films, and nets and nonwovens are used in a diverse range of products, applications and industries around the world. As experts in highly engineered materials made from fibers, resins and polymers, we provide solutions to make products stronger, more durable and with increased performance. From accessory materials for face shields and medical devices, to protective helmets for hospital workers, law enforcement and military, to support layers for filtration and Reverse Osmosis (RO) applications for clean drinking water – and much more, we are proud to serve customers who make a world of difference in the markets they operate in and the products they improve.
We have an opportunity for a Senior Process Engineer in our Advanced Materials and Structures business.
The Senior Process Engineer uses data, analytics, and a deep understanding of manufacturing processes to solve problems and propel SWM toward the next level of production performance and growth. They collaborate with operations staff to implement data-driven standard work and data visualizations (dashboards) that promote broad understanding and KPI (Key Performance Indicator) measurement. The Senior Process Engineer intelligently connects disparate data and applies advanced analytics to gain critical insights.
This position is located at our Middletown, Delaware facility but project assignments may be at any of our global sites.
- Learn and understand the physical and heat transfer mechanisms behind SWM’s manufacturing processes
- Develop a keen understanding of how product and standard work variability affects customer satisfaction and operational effectiveness.
- Develop a sense for, and become an advocate of applicable rate increase, variability reduction, and waste elimination priorities across the range of operational improvement opportunities.
- Drive impactful process and design improvements through the process of opportunity investigation, hypothesis testing, effect confirmation, and work standardization.
- Propose, plan, coordinate, execute and control projects involving the improvement and/or implementation of process improvements and data visualization on the manufacturing floor.
- Together with the quality function, drive an SPC (Statistical Process Control) mindset; implement quality and waste visualization through dashboards.
- Improve and standardize key manufacturing process metrics across the plant floor
- Find and qualify improved inline and end-of-line attribute measurement methods; align with IT to deploy or change the asset framework for global reuse.
- Apply predictive modeling and data mining tools to solve problems.
- Actively coach plant floor and engineering colleagues is the use of data for problem solving.
- Together with peer process engineers in other facilities, share knowledge and learning. proactively seek opportunities to reuse learning and propagate best practices.
- Prepare structured test reports for peer review and recordkeeping.
- Periodically, prepare and present case studies showing data-driven process improvement.
- Travel up to 10% domestically
- Additional duties as assigned
BS in Engineering, data science, or computer science. MS preferred. 3 years of applicable manufacturing experience is required.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Deep knowledge in at least one manufacturing process category where the individual has applied at least 2 years of work dedicated to process improvement and optimization using in-line process measurement, process optimization studies, and advanced analytics in an Industry 4.0 setting.
- Demonstrated conceptual, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Experienced applying Design of Experiments (DoE) in problem-solving and optimization
- Skilled using data visualization tools such as ThingWorx, Power BI, Tableau, Grafana, or Qlik Sense
- Experienced using advanced analytics tools such as RapidMiner
- Skilled in applying statistical process control (SPC) principles to production processes
- Experienced using Minitab or equivalent
- Experienced using multi-relational database structures (MSSQL) and historian data in structured asset/event frameworks
- Skilled describing complex concepts graphically
- Excellent interaction, collaboration and presentation skills
- Skilled working in a matrix management environment
- Knowledge of polymer extrusion processes is a plus
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or other protected status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. SWM International is committed to help individuals with disabilities participate in the workforce, and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at SWM, please email our Talent Acquisition Team at [email protected]