Lehigh County Authority is seeking a Project Engineer to join their Allentown, PA team. In this role, you’ll be responsible for managing water and wastewater capital projects, serving as a department liaison with the asset management group, and utilizing asset management data to plan and prioritize capital projects. If you are tech-savvy and enjoy being a part of a team that is constantly driving change to obtain ultimate efficiency for the community, then this role is for you!
What you’ll do
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manages specific capital projects to assure their proper conduct, compliance with LCA standards and objectives, adherence to schedule, adherence to budget, and final completion. Reports project status on a regular basis.
- Oversees and directs outside consultants – including reviewing and tracking project schedules, tracking budgets, coordinating design efforts, performing design reviews, bid phase administration, reviewing change order requests, overseeing inspection activities, coordinating and attending progress meetings, reviewing payment applications, substantial completion inspection and punch lists, contract closeout administration, reviewing as-built plans and operation and maintenance manuals, and document management.
- Works with and coordinates with Asset Management group to identify major equipment and facility replacement/upgrade needs, including tracking major equipment/facilities risk of failure, consequence of failure, aggregate risk ratings, evaluating repair vs. replacement protocols, and translating and summarizing data for capital project planning prioritization.
- Justifies short and long-term capital improvement projects and capital budgets based on Asset Management data using net present value analysis.
- Attains familiarity with LCA policies and standards for water and sewer design and construction and provides technical guidance on project requirements to internal staff and outside agencies.
- Utilizes project management software to track and report project schedules, earned value, spending forecasts, and workflow management.
- Reviews internal and external studies and designs and issues review comments.
- Performs quarterly project cost forecasting and assists with annual capital budget and capital plan.
- Coordinates implementation of projects with other departments and regularly notifies manager of issues or potential problems.
- Handles a variety of personal contact situations with outside consulting engineers, local and state regulators and other government agencies, utilities, business and industry representatives, developers, contractors, and local municipalities. Attends internal and external meetings as required.
- Assists Operations Department by studying problems and recommending solutions or improvements to existing facilities.
- As requested, makes presentations and attends selected LCA board meetings.
- Performs special studies and evaluations requiring the expertise and knowledge of a registered professional engineer.
- Performs cost analysis, including net present value, for engineering alternatives. Provides cost evaluations to justify equipment/facility replacement projects.
- Performs related engineering work as required.
What you need to thrive in this role
- Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in civil engineering.
- Current licensing as a Professional Engineer in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania with specialization in civil or environmental engineering, or ability to obtain license within 1 year.
- Experience: Minimum five (5) years of engineering experience.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering, with special emphasis on water and wastewater engineering.
- Skills: Knowledge of the principles of Asset Management and asset risk evaluations.
- Computer skills, including thorough knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook. Experience with project management software is desired.
- Ability to communicate and coordinate with a diverse workforce, across multiple departments.
- Ability to plan, manage and administer capital projects.
- Ability to apply the principles and practices of civil engineering at an advanced level.
- Ability to manage outside consultants.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Possession of a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license.
Established in 1966, Lehigh County Authority (LCA) is a non-profit, municipal authority and is the primary water utility in Lehigh County. LCA provides high-quality, reliable water and wastewater services to residents, visitors, and business in the fast-growing and expanding Lehigh Valley. We offer competitive salaries, a generous benefit package and career opportunities for talented and motivated individuals seeking a rewarding career in the water sector. LCA is an exciting and busy place to work, and our employees are the key to ensuring that our public services are valuable, affordable and of the high quality our customers expect.
What we offer you
LCA offers competitive pay and robust benefits including:
- Health, dental and vision coverage – covers employee and eligible dependents with affordable employee contributions.
- Generous paid vacation, excused absence, personal days, and holidays.
- Company provided life insurance, long-term disability, and short-term disability.
- Eligibility for two retirement plans - Pennsylvania Municipal Defined Benefit Retirement Plan and 457(Empower).
I’m interested, how do I get started?
Apply to: https://app.jobvite.com/j?aj=o19ekfws&s=Jobvite
Our hiring management partner is myHR Partner. myHR Partner is not a staffing service or recruiter. All resumes/applications will be reviewed for this position and only for our organization.
We realize that it takes time and effort to go through our application process and we thank you for considering applying for this position.
Lehigh County Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Lehigh County Authority does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, Veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Thank you for considering us as a potential employer!EOE, M/F/D/V.