R&D Lead – Shoot & On-Set
As a Lead R&D Developer at DNEG you will work as part of a highly engaged and knowledgeable Production Technology department developing pioneering tools that enable our artists to tackle increasingly complex and creative challenges in the production of stunning - and award-winning - Visual Effects and Feature Animation work.As a Lead R&D Developer at DNEG you will work as part of a highly engaged and knowledgeable Production Technology department developing pioneering tools that enable our artists to tackle increasingly complex and creative challenges in the production of stunning - and award-winning - Visual Effects and Feature Animation work.
You will be working on DNEG's proprietary shoot and on-set tools which are developed in both C/C++ and Python. Our developers work to help our Shoot/On-Set Department ingest, process and prepare terabytes of data captured on the film set. Our cutting-edge systems include the latest machine vision algorithms and photogrammetry technology provided through an artist friendly graphical user interface. As a lead developer you will use your experience in desktop application development, user interface design, image processing and computer vision algorithms to develop and improve our systems to keep them on the cutting edge of this technology domain.
As well as demonstrating technical skill and initiative, you will need to be an excellent communicator – your ability to communicate between technical developers and non-technical artists and end users will help you thrive in this role.
As a lead developer you will work closely with our Technology Project Managers to plan your projects and those of the wider team, establish development road maps and drive new initiatives taking the technology even further. You will have influence in all aspects of the software development life-cycle; designing, supporting and maintaining software as well as integrating tools into our existing pipeline.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing Production Technology department contributing to the technology behind exceptional VFX and Feature Animation work ranging from blockbuster epics to television dramas, working alongside smart, creative and adaptable R&D Software Developers.
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or similar, or equivalent experience
- Practical experience in using or developing image processing or computer vision algorithms
- Experience of software development in a Linux environment (shells, version management etc.)
- Strong programming skills in C/C++ and Python• Experience with graphical programming APIs such as Qt and OpenGL.
- Some comprehension of the core principles of digital photography and imaging. For example: how the digitised values recorded by the camera sensor are converted to the final image we see on a computer screen and how that differs to using a digital camera as a tool to accurately measure light and colour.
- Prior experience leading a development team
- Experience with source control systems and team development
Nice to have:
- Experience developing VFX-related tools
- Understanding of relevant third-party technologies such as Alembic, OpenEXR and OpenImageIO, OpenColourIO etc
- Experience with APIs for relevant applications such as Houdini, Maya and Nuke
- Experience with deep learning
We are DNEG, one of the world's leading visual effects, animation and stereo conversion companies for feature film and television, with studios in London, Vancouver, Mumbai, Los Angeles, Chennai, Montréal, Chandigarh, Hyderabad and Goa.