Expression of Interest - Layout Technical Supervisor
Whilst we do not have any open positions right now, we would still love to hear from you!
We will keep your details on our database and contact you when a suitable position becomes available.
The Layout Technical Supervisor provides leadership and supervision to the technical aspects within the local and global VFX Layout department. This is a department-facing role involved with both maintaining our current systems and spearheading the development of new technology solutions for practical applications in day to day shot work.
You will work with and coordinate with multiple stakeholders both within the VFX Layout department as well as to other departments within DNEG.
What You'll Do
- Works with the HOD to create a long term vision for the tools and workflows
- Collaborate with workflow architects and software development teams to manage priorities, guide, support and test the development of these tools
- Works with Pipeline TDs, Render Supervisors and the VFX Layout Department team to maintain our existing tools and setups
- Works with the Layout Supervisors and leads to define and enforce standardisation in workflow, output, and development best practices within the VFX Layout department
- Create clear and accurate documentation for methodologies and workflows
- Conduct crew training sessions & support wider training for the department by creating and maintaining our department training materials
- Represent the needs of the VFX Layout department in cross-department pipeline and R&D planning conversations
- Oversee artists work when they are assigned to department development tasks.
- Minimum 5+ years of experience in high end Feature Film VFX production
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience of full VFX and Layout pipelines
- Knowledge of Layout outputs including shot manifests, camera, animation and environment caches, cards etc.
- Excellent working knowledge of Maya and experience in developing tools for DCC packages in Maya
- High level of proficiency in all technical areas of VFX Layout including shot publishing, viewables, review, QC and presentation process
- Good understanding of practical cameras and camera techniques such as stitches and projections in a virtual environment
- A strong drive for visual excellence, optimisation and efficiency to empower artists.
- An organised, motivated and proactive self-starter
- A collaborative, forward thinking, approachable leader and team player who is a clear communicator
- Able to provide technical advice and support for artists
- Adaptable, maintains a willingness to learn new skills and techniques – including proprietary software
- Calm under pressure and committed to meeting deadlines
- Good creative and technical problem-solving skills
- A positive, can-do attitude.
- Unreal (other game engine experience may be helpful)
- Previs, Virtual Production and Techvis experience
- Knowledge and experience with Nuke, USD, Houdini, Solaris & Renderman
- Coding experience in Python, MEL, Maya and Linux. (C++ is a plus)
- Experience in Feature Animation, TV, Games and Cinematics will also be taken into account.
We are DNEG, one of the world’s leading visual effects and animation companies for the creation of award-winning feature film, television, and multiplatform content. We employ more than 10,000 people with worldwide offices and studios across North America (Los Angeles, Montréal, Toronto, Vancouver), Europe (London), Asia (Bangalore, Mohali, Chennai, Mumbai) and Australia (Sydney).