Software Developer (Rotoscope Tools)
As an R&D Software Developer at DNEG, you will work as part of a highly engaged and knowledgeable Production Technology department developing pioneering tools that enable our artists to tackle increasingly complex and creative challenges in the production of stunning - and award-winning - Visual Effects and Feature Animation work.As an R&D Software Developer at DNEG, you will work as part of a highly engaged and knowledgeable Production Technology department developing pioneering tools that enable our artists to tackle increasingly complex and creative challenges in the production of stunning - and award-winning - Visual Effects and Feature Animation work.
DNEG has a large, specialised and dedicated team of rotoscope artists generating animated ‘matte’ images used to separate elements in the photographic movie plate, a crucial step in the VFX pipeline. They use proprietary tools developed in-house that we believe are efficient and user-friendly. However, we strive to continue improving our technology in this area as well as provide expert technical support to the artist teams. As a Rotoscope Tools software developer you will be focused on developing and advancing our core GUI application and pipeline, working closely with the artists and supervisors to identify enhancements and new, improved workflows that can be integrated into the technology.
As well as demonstrating technical skill and initiative, you will need to be an excellent communicator – your ability to communicate between technical developers and non-technical artists will help you thrive in this role.
We value your expertise, so with the help of our dedicated Technology Project Managers you will be responsible for planning-out your own development projects working with senior developers to schedule development work and establish your own project deadlines. You will have influence in all aspects of the software development life-cycle; designing, supporting and maintaining software as well as integrating tools into our existing pipeline.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing Production Technology department contributing to the technology behind exceptional VFX and Feature Animation work ranging from blockbuster epics to television dramas, working alongside smart, creative and adaptable R&D Software Developers.
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or similar, or equivalent experience
- Programming experience in C/C++ and Python, particularly for graphical applications
- Ability and enthusiasm for learning new programming libraries and APIs
Nice to have:
- Practical knowledge of graphical programming toolkits & APIs: Qt, OpenGL, OpenGL Shader Language
- Experience of software development in a Linux environment (shells, version management etc.)
- Experience developing VFX-related tools
- Experience with C++ and Python APIs for the VFX compositing tool ‘Nuke’ by Foundry
- Experience with deep learning, particularly as it applies to Computer Vision and segmentation
We are DNEG, one of the world's leading visual effects, animation and stereo conversion companies for feature film and television, with studios in London, Vancouver, Mumbai, Los Angeles, Chennai, Montréal, Chandigarh, Hyderabad and Goa.