Lead Crowd TD (DNEG Animation)
Crowd Lead TD
Since 2014, DNEG Animation has been collaborating with filmmakers and IP owners to create high-end animated content. Currently in production on major animated projects we are looking for new talent to join our growing team. Thriving on collaboration and the creative energy it provides, we will craft together spectacular visuals and bring to life the vision of both major Hollywood studios and independent productions! Visit our website to find out more about Animation at DNEG: https://www.dneg.com/dneg-animation/
Key Purpose of the Job:
The Crowd Lead Technical Director is responsible for producing complex crowd shots using a variety of sprite, vignette and simulation techniques and custom pipeline tools to create photo realistic crowd simulations. The Crowd Lead TD works under the direction and supervision of the CG Crowd Supervisor to develop a specific look, movement and style that achieves the Creative Goals and vision of the VFX Supervisor and Director.
A Crowd Lead TD will also be responsible in development of the key tools for crowd pipeline and workflows as well as leading the other crowd artists on the show in collaboration with the CG Crowd Supervisor.
- Good understanding of Houdini crowd simulation or related software programs.
- Proven experience in producing crowd simulations with an eye for details, good sense of timing, and thorough understanding of techniques and technologies relating to physical simulation in computer graphics.
- Familiarity with pipeline issues and problem solving.
- Experience in creating pipeline/workflow tools
- Experienced in balancing quality with time constraints.
- Excellent artistic and technical skills.
- Experience of leading or coaching junior artists.
Nice to Have
- Programming or scripting skills (e.g. mel, python, Hscript, etc)
- Experience in CG Feature Crowd work preferred
- Houdini, Massive and Maya and/or equivalent 3D software knowledge
- Experience in other areas of visual effects (TV, Games) will also be taken into account
- Experience with Rigging/Animation/Mocap is a plus
- A good general TD background
- Strong understanding of Linux/Unix based operating systems
- Organised, pro-active team player and a self-starter
- A team player and great at collaboration and communication
- Good attitude towards the work by being approachable and personable
- Adaptable and with a willingness to learn new skills and techniques – including proprietary software
- Calm under pressure and committed to meet production deadlines
- A positive, can-do attitude
We are DNEG, one of the world’s leading visual effects and animation studios for the creation of feature film, television and multiplatform content. We employ nearly 7,000 people with worldwide offices and studios across North America (Los Angeles, Montréal, Toronto, Vancouver), Europe (London) and Asia (Bangalore, Chandigarh, Chennai, Mumbai).