Technical Application Engineer, PV Tracker Solution
Canadian Solar is seeking a highly motivated Applications Engineer focused on providing product application support & sales support for utility solar tracking systems. This role will interface with the internal sales teams and external clients, with the goal of providing technical sales & field support for all Canadian Solar Inc. solar tracker projects. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record, coordinating client requirements between sales and engineering teams, and successfully conveying product value proposition. The right individual will be able to support a fleet of solar tracker projects, understanding the various stages of development and the associated collateral needed for success.
- Key responsibilities and areas of expertise include: RFQ process, project plan set interpretation, drafting, structural evaluation (wind, snow, seismic), solar project site criteria analysis, code compliance (NEC, UL, IEC, etc.) and contract document generation.
- Develop an in-depth technical knowledge of our solar tracking system, configuring our product to multiple client’s utility power plant requirements.
- Thorough understanding of end-to-end applications, supporting Utility and Commercial projects
- Analyze and cost optimize projects and financial modelling for competitive positioning of CSI's Solar Tracker product.
- Establish site specific design requirements for a project and configure the tracker to meet customer needs, evaluating cost, wind loading, snow loading, seismic loading & corrosion
- Layout, edit and optimize customer projects in AutoCAD.
- Provide timely feedback on questions related to project or component design.
- Assist with contract activities to ensure design requirements have been met.
- Prepare content and materials for customer visits with sales managers to conduct product presentations, customer training sessions, webinars and customer events.
- Work with the marketing team to launch new product features, and interpret sales success.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Business discipline is required; a graduate degree is strongly preferred.
- Minimum 3-4 years of technical sales experience / 4-6 for Sr. Level, ideally in the energy sector or within the PV industry.
- Previous experience with PV tracker, PV modules, PV Power Electronics, such as String Inverter Technology.
- Able to perform project simulation as needed in PVSyst, other solar modeling programs/tools, such as SAM.
- Strong understanding of mechanical and structural systems, such as solar tracking systems, etc.
- Experience interacting with sales and business development teams, B2B sales channels.
- Previous working experience with direct sales to commercial and industry business is a plus.
- Must have the ability to quickly learn key product information related to Canadian Solar's product portfolio and be able to answer technical product questions.
- Providing direct consultation/recommendations to clients regarding product costs, ROI, and feature benefits
- Excellent social and interpersonal skills as well as the ability to work with others effectively, locally and also over multiple time zones and different cultures.
- Ability / Willingness to travel (up to 35%, also internationally).
- Excellent organizational, strategic planning and implementation skills.
- Requires strong analytical and financial capabilities.
- Recognized as a leader who is highly proficient in developing strategies, setting goals, training, communicating, mentoring, allocating resources and fostering a strong, cohesive and effective team spirit.
- A dynamic, roll-up-the-sleeves personality, who is able to think quickly, creatively, and is results-driven
- Ability to adhere to key processes while maintaining a high level of quality and detail
- A pragmatic businessperson who is comfortable in a collaborative and fluid environment. An individual who is capable of thinking on their feet and making sound decisions within compressed timelines.
- An excellent time manager, able to balance multiple projects and prioritize a broad variety of issues, initiatives and objectives concurrently.
- A self-confident, self-starter, team-oriented, high energy with strong ethics and values that are key to Canadian Solar's value and mission.
- Work will be performed in a standard office environment, in front of a computer monitor and will involve sitting, bending, standing, walking, typing, reaching.