Applications Engineer (Energy Storage)
Canadian Solar Inc. (NASDAQ: CSIQ) is a vertically‐integrated manufacturer of solar cells, modules and custom‐designed solar power applications. Canadian Solar’s world‐class team of professionals works closely with our customers to provide them with solutions for all their solar needs. Founded in 2001, Canadian Solar is one of the world’s fastest‐growing companies in the solar industry and has been listed on the NASDAQ since November 2006.
The Energy Storage Applications Engineer will provide technical expertise to support Canadian Solar’s energy storage solutions. This position will be responsible for the pre-sales activities of utility-scale Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) including system sizing, data analysis, preliminary design, cost estimating, financial optimization, and value engineering. The engineer will work closely with the commercial and engineering teams to help develop proposals for new storage project opportunities and provide technical support to respond to customer needs.
Pre-sales Engineering & Design
- Be a technical liaison for the Sales team to customers and partners, and an expert resource for general product specifications and value engineering discussions.
- Analyze RFP or other customer documentation to determine project scope, schedule, specifications, risk, and technical requirements.
- Prepare technical documentation for proposals and coordinate the bid package preparation with other departments.
- Work closely with sales staff, engineering, and procurement to ensure complete and shared project understanding and priorities.
- Conduct technical presentations and provide clarifications to customers and other departments.
- Develop size models and conceptual drawings sets (Electrical One-line Diagrams, Site Layouts, etc.) in collaboration with other Applications Engineers.
- In collaboration with the engineering team. establish and maintain the engineering, design criteria and applicable standards and specifications for BESS projects
- Perform site visits and BESS field inspections as needed
- Coordinate in-house estimating activities including relevant drawings and specifications
- Coordinate major subcontractors RFP including scopes of work for electrical installations and design
- In collaboration with procurement team, investigate alternate sources for equipment and subcontractors
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (preferably Electrical or Mechanical) or any technical or related business discipline is required; a graduate degree is strongly preferred.
- Several years of experience in applications and/or systems engineering with an energy storage integrator or EPC contractor.
- Direct experience in battery energy storage systems or utility-scale solar.
- Background in battery chemistry, packs, modules, and associated systems such as thermal management, fire protection systems and battery control systems would be a plus.
- Exceptional technical aptitude including the ability to read and fully understand engineering schematics, technical advisory reports, and technology reviews.
- Proficient in AutoCAD or related software.
- Solid understanding of regulatory standards in LATAM related to energy storage and grid- interactive inverters.
- Prior experience working with EPCs is highly desirable.
- A go-getter professional with a can-do attitude - setting aggressive, measurable goals and objectives for him/herself and prepared to be measured against them.
- An efficient team member with high regard for ethics, integrity, and finesse.
- A dynamic professional with the ability to positively interact and collaborate with a diverse group of people at all levels and disciplines and capable of effectively communicating with clients.
- Comfortable in a collaborative and fluid environment.
- An excellent time manager, able to balance multiple projects and prioritize a broad variety of issues, initiatives, and objectives concurrently.