Director of Applications Engineering, EMEA (e-STORAGE)
Canadian Solar Inc. (NASDAQ: CSIQ) is a vertically integrated manufacturer of solar cells, modules, and battery energy storage solutions. Canadian Solar’s world-class team of professionals works closely with our customers to provide them with solutions for all their solar and energy storage needs. Founded in 2001, Canadian Solar is one of the world’s fastest-growing companies in the solar industry and has been listed on the NASDAQ since November 2006. Canadian Solar is an equal opportunity employer.
Canadian Solar aims to power the world with solar energy and to create a cleaner Earth for future generations. Our culture and people are our most important assets and a key source of our competitive advantage. We strive to “Make the Difference” in our work by cultivating a corporate culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion, and creating a lasting positive impact on society and the communities where we operate.
As a subsidiary of Canadian Solar, e-STORAGE is a leading company specializing in the design, manufacturing, and integration of battery energy storage systems for utility-scale applications. At the core of the e-STORAGE platform is SolBank a self-manufactured, lithium-iron phosphate chemistry-based battery engineered for utility-scale applications. Through our innovative solutions, we aim to optimize grid operations, promote clean energy integration, and foster a more resilient and sustainable energy landscape.
Position Title: Director of Applications Engineering, EMEA
Department: Business Development
Entity: CSI Energy Storage
Reports to: Sr. Director of Business Development and Applications
Location: UK/ Western Europe or SP/Madrid
The Director of Applications Engineering provides technical expertise to support Canadian Solar’s energy storage solutions. This position will be responsible for the pre-sales activities of utility-scale Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) including system sizing, data analysis, preliminary design, cost estimating, financial optimization, value engineering and technical contract reviews.
This role will require the chosen candidate to lead a team of applications engineers and work closely with the commercial and engineering teams in developing proposals for new storage project opportunities and providing technical support to customers.
Pre-sales Engineering and Design
- Serve as a technical champion for the Sales team in customer discussions, and an expert resource for general product specifications and value engineering discussions.
- Guide the team to analyze RFP or other customer documentation to determine project scope, schedule, specifications, risk, and technical requirements.
- Prepare technical documentation for proposals and coordinate the bid package preparation with other departments.
- Prepare, review and negotiate technical contract schedules.
- Work closely with sales staff, engineering, and procurement to ensure complete and shared project understanding and priorities.
- Conduct technical presentations and provide clarifications to customers and other departments.
- Lead the technical sizing of BESS projects using internal models and power system tools such as DIgSILENT and the preparation of conceptual drawings sets (Electrical One-line Diagrams, Site Layouts, etc.).
- In collaboration with the engineering team. establish and maintain the engineering, design criteria and applicable standards and specifications for BESS projects and Travel to meet with customers
- Coordinate in-house estimating activities including relevant drawings and specifications.
- Coordinate major subcontractors RFP including scopes of work for electrical installations and design.
- In collaboration with procurement team, investigate alternate sources for equipment and subcontractors.
- A go-getter professional with a can-do attitude.
- Ability to positively interact and collaborate with a diverse group of people at all levels and disciplines.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Comfortable in a dynamic and fluid environment.
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to balance multiple projects and a variety of issues, initiatives, and objectives concurrently.
- At least ten years of experience in applications and/or systems engineering with an energy storage integrator, consulting firm, developer, or OEM.
- Direct experience in utility-scale battery energy storage systems or solar PV plants.
- A background in power electronics or power systems would be a plus.
- Experience leading engineering or pre-sales technical teams.
- Exceptional technical aptitude including the ability to read and fully understand engineering schematics, technical advisory reports, and technology reviews.
- Solid understanding of regulatory standards in the UK and Europe related to energy storage and grid-interactive inverters.
- Global perspective and awareness, and direct experience working across diverse cultures in a multinational company would be beneficial.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering (preferably Electrical) discipline is required; a graduate degree is strongly preferred.
Compensation & Benefits
Canadian Solar offers a competitive salary plus fully comprehensive benefits and performance bonus package based on an annual objective achievement.
Canadian Solar Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.