Canadian Solar Inc. (NASDAQ: CSIQ) is a vertically‐integrated manufacturer of solar cells, modules, and custom‐designed solar power applications. Canadian Solar’s world‐class team of professionals works closely with our customers to provide them with solutions for all their solar needs. Founded in 2001, Canadian Solar is one of the world’s fastest‐growing companies in the solar industry and has been listed on the NASDAQ since November 2006. Canadian Solar is an equal opportunity employer.
Canadian Solar aims to power the world with solar energy and to create a cleaner Earth for future generations. Our culture and people are our most important assets and a key source of our competitive advantage. We strive to “Make the Difference” in our work by cultivating a corporate culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion, and creating a lasting positive impact on society and the communities where we operate.
Position Title: Commissioning Engineer
Entity: CSI Energy Storage
Reports To: Commissioning Manager
Location: US, CA or TX
The Commissioning Engineer is part of a cross-functional team that focuses on executing battery storage projects with market-leading technologies. The Commissioning Engineer is responsible for testing and commissioning oversight activities of Battery Energy System Storage (BESS) projects from the Pre-Commissioning phase through to Substantial Completion to ensure successful execution and operation of the BESS project. The Commissioning Engineer is expected to spend over 70% of their time at the project site.
Project Planning (remote):
- Participate in meetings with owner, operation and maintenance, design, and construction personnel to understand project goals and schedule to ensure proper coordination of commissioning activities.
- Assist the Commissioning Manager in Preparing commissioning plans, specifications, checklists, and functional test documentation based on client and company standards.
- Review project documents and preliminary designs to identify gaps in scope and responsibility to ensure project success.
- This requires a comprehensive understanding of engineering, construction, and permitting concepts.
Project Commissioning (on-site):
- Responsible for execution of commissioning activities, which requires understanding/managing the scope, stakeholders and schedule and keeping all parties in sync.
- Interface with internal customers (commissioning manager, project manager, construction manager) and external customers (utilities, AHJs, contractors, end customers) to ensure consistent communication.
- Manage equipment suppliers and host daily plan of the day (POD) with each supplier to have them report progress and schedule their work.
- Review equipment Factory Acceptance Test procedures and reports.
- Perform site visits to coordinate commissioning plan, schedules and checklist to ensure all commissioning activities and performance testing are executed efficiently.
- Inspect construction work and support the resolution of installation and commissioning technical issues.
- Suggest improvement in commissioning execution plan or procedures/processes based on lessons learned.
- Coordinating and training operation and maintenance personnel to maintain commissioned systems and perform a continuous commissioning program.
- Maintain and develop key strategic relationships with major vendors, suppliers, and contractors throughout the energy storage industry.
- Support value-engineering and process improvement efforts by sharing project-specific lessons learned.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
- BS in an engineering field or equivalent experience/practical knowledge.
- 5-10 years of relevant experience in commissioning and/or systems engineering within an Energy Storage integrator or EPC contractor.
- Direct experience in battery storage systems, medium voltage stations, and/or related products/systems.
- Proficient in the specification, technical bid analysis, and procurement of major equipment such as inverters, transformers, switchgear, etc...
- Must have a sound understanding of the commissioning and testing of Energy Storage projects.
- Proficient in construction project management (Submittals, RFIs, Change Order, Non-Conformance, As-built)
- Proficient in MV Electrical Installations, Ampacity Calculations, Short circuit/load flow, Protective Device Coordination, Arc Flash, Grounding per IEEE80 and other relevant design topics.
- Practical hands-on experience in system engineering and solid understanding of related regulatory standards, including NEC/UL code compliance.
- Global perspective and awareness and direct experience working across diverse cultures in a multinational company would be beneficial.
- A go-getter professional with a can-do attitude - setting aggressive, measurable goals and objectives for him/herself and prepared to be measured against them.
- A dynamic professional and the ability to positively interact and collaborate with a diverse group of people at all levels and disciplines and capable of standing in front of key clients, thinking on his/her feet, and making sound decisions within compressed timelines.
- An excellent time manager, able to balance multiple projects and prioritize a broad variety of issues, initiatives, and objectives concurrently.