Canadian Solar Inc. is currently seeking a Solar Turnkey Services Project Manager to oversee commercial and utility-scale photovoltaic solar projects through development, construction, commissioning and turnover to Operations. The successful candidate will assist in due diligence on potential project acquisitions, define EPC scopes of work for projects nearing construction, and plan and track progress on active construction projects. The projects need to be delivered on time and on budget, ensuring success for these concerns is the primary function of the Project Manager. The role requires the ability to manage multiple project portfolios, and to travel periodically to inspect major construction milestones at job sites.
As a subsidiary of Canadian Solar, e-STORAGE is a leading company specializing in the design, manufacturing, and integration of battery energy storage systems for utility-scale applications. At the core of the e-STORAGE platform is SolBank a self manufactured, lithium-iron phosphate chemistry-based battery engineered for utility-scale applications. Through our innovative solutions, we aim to optimize grid operations, promote clean energy integration, and foster a more resilient and sustainable energy landscape.
- Define and document RFPs and scope of work packages for 3rd party EPC firms. Participate in EPC selection and contract negotiation.
- Conduct due diligence on potential solar sites, evaluate the suitability of identified sites and participate in due diligence review, analysis of various reports (i.e. environmental, geo-tech, etc.).
- Act as the Owner’s Engineer for Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) on distributed generation and utility PV solar projects in the US.
- Review design drawings and engineering deliverables from EPC contractors to prioritize critical areas for further Engineering review.
- Manage the Request for Information and Change Management processes for incoming design change requests
- Facilitate permitting and jurisdictional approval processes.
- Coordinate with sub-EPC contractors, trade subcontractors and equipment vendors to ensure adherence to and compliance with contract terms and delivery of contractual obligations.
- Manage activities of internal team of project engineering, asset management, legal and accounting staff as well as deliverables of sub-EPC, trade subcontractors, client, regulatory and permitting authorities.
- Ensure project quality control by conducting on-site inspections as needed, coordinating with either in house engineering resources or 3rd party independent engineering firms if necessary.
- Lead project status update meetings with Turnkey Services management, energy off-takers, sub-EPCs, trade subcontractors and finance counterparties – facilitating discussions with a detailed project plan and high level status dashboard.
- Manage the collection, organization and filing of all project documentation, both internally and for external third party stakeholders.
- Assist with the development of internal operating policies, standards and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Construction Management, Project Management or related field
- 6 years of experience in one or more of the following fields: Project Management or Construction Management for Utility PV or Commercial projects, General Construction, Electrical Construction, Energy Infrastructure, Energy Storage or Utility Construction.
- Must have experience and understanding of National Electric Code (NEC), National Electric Safety Code (NESC), OSHA codes, IEEE and UL Standards/Certifications related to PV / PV+S products, design and interconnection
- Familiarity with Utility interconnection practices a plus, but not required
- Knowledge of PVSYST and SAM (system advisor model) a plus, but not required
- Experience with NEC Section 690 and NFPA a plus, but not required
- Ability to adapt to strategic and tactical changes in a dynamic industry
- Ability to communicate complex data and concepts effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals, while representing Canadian Solar with professionalism
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects, deliverables, and schedules in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Innovative and proactive ability to independently think critically and solve problems
- Highly proficient in: MS Office suite (Excel/Word), MS Project (or other scheduling software)
- Knowledge of construction techniques and estimating
- Ability to interpret construction documents, as-built drawings, customer utility electric billing & usage data, and technical specifications
- Willingness to travel as required to projects prior, during and after construction (approximately 75% of time)
- Excellent communication skills for dealing with customers, utility administrators, inspectors, and vendor/partners
- Stable, reliable, and predictable long term performance required
- Position may work in an office environment in front of a computer monitor as well as remote setting. Will involve sitting, standing, bending, crouching, reaching, may need to climb ladders, be outdoors during weather events, have full range of mobility in the upper and lower body, ability to perform light physical effort and work on uneven surfaces as needed for the job
- OSHA 30 or ability to easily gain OSHA 30 is a plus
- NABCEP PV or ability to gain NABCEP PV is a plus
- Spanish language skill is a plus