Process Engineering Specialist
Job Description – Canadian Solar Solutions Inc.
Canadian Solar Inc. is one of the world’s largest solar modular producers. As a leading vertically integrated provider of ingots, wafers, solar cells, solar modules, solar power systems and specialized solar products, Canadian Solar delivers uncompromising value to its customers across the globe.
Position Title: Process Engineering Specialist
Reports To: Process supervisor
The Process Engineering Specialist takes responsibility for daily process maintenance, new products development, new process introduction and system integration of equipment to support mass production and improve process capability for photovoltaic module assembly facility in Ontario.
The Process Engineering Specialist performs a range of duties related to manufacturing process, product development, product quality, document work and operator training.
The ideal candidate will proactively identify where products, processes, and equipment could be better optimized for manufacturing. The Process Engineering Specialist must possess the capabilities to drive continuous improvement of product quality, processes, and manufacturing costs.
- Work with product design teams to formulate a manufacturing process for the new product and support product ramp up
- Oversee process design, production line layout, system integration and make sure the manufacturing process, capacity, capability meets business demand
- Improve manufacturing process, equipment efficiency to boost productivity, product quality and manufacturing cost.
- Assume responsibility for new manufacturing processes, equipment and methodology evaluation, and adopting new manufacturing technology
- Maintain and develop manufacturing work instructions, provide training to cross functional team
- Create Engineering Change Notices (ECN) as related to manufacturing process, quality, and product cost improvements
- Lead/participate in PFMEA/Control Plan creation; drive process Cpk and gage R&R applications
- Lead and drive continuous improvement, 5S, and lean manufacturing activities
- Support material supplier qualification, material inspection, and testing when needed
- Establish and maintain work standards for product costing and productivity measurement
- Ensure that all business activities are performed with the highest ethical standards and in compliance with the Canadian Solar Solution Code of Business Conduct
- Support ISO 9001 activities
- Adhere to all environmental, health and safety rules and policies
- Conduct other duties as required
Qualifications and Experience:
- Engineering degree a relevant field, e.g. B. Eng. (Mechanical or equivalent)
- Minimum 3-5 years experience as a Manufacturing or Process Engineer/Specialist in a high-volume manufacturing environment (photovoltaic industry preferred)
- Knowledge and expertise with PLC, machine automation and controls, robotic assembly, and machine operations preferred
- Demonstrated success on manufacturing process improvement, capacity and standard time, product quality, machine OEE and efficiency improvement
- Superior knowledge on manufacturing production line layout, machine operations, line balance, product quality and production output
- Familiar with Standard Work, Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma or Continuous Improvement tools
- Quality Control background; Data analysis, problem solving and root cause analysis skills preferred
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, Solid works preferred
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Mandarin required
- Strong presentation skills
- Able to work efficiently as a part of a team as well as independently
- Must be self directed and able to work with little supervision