Director, Business Development - A&D
Director – Aerospace & Defense
Location: Northern Virginia / National Capital Region (NCR)
ACTIVE SECRET CLEARANCE is REQUIRED
This position will report directly to Wind River’s Vice President of Aerospace & Defense, to further develop our pipeline related to the DOD, IC and FED/CIV customers. The ideal candidate will bring existing customer relationships, develop and maintain strong business relationships with key decision makers across Embedded Software markets, as well as identify and qualify new business opportunities. You will be held accountable for identification, qualification and capture of new and/or emerging business development opportunities as well as the generation of qualified pipeline growth necessary to meet or exceed the A&D forecast and plan. In addition, this individual will plan and recommend Business Development and marketing strategies to achieve maximum customer and market penetration to drive strategic and tactical growth. In addition, the role will represent Wind River in consortia or regulatory bodies such as FACE, SOSA and VICTORY standard’s committees. The role will focus on building customer intimacy, identifying unmet customer needs in and around the NCR and supporting the field organization globally.
This executive will work closely with the company’s engineering, product management, marketing and sales teams to share and refresh market and competitive intelligence on a regular basis. Working collaboratively across Wind River, this executive will influence product priorities, product features, marketing, messaging, and global sales strategy. Specifically, s/he will translate data and analysis into actionable insights and comprehensive go-to-market strategies, and develop and oversee A&D oriented outbound marketing and demand generation programs.
Preferred Skills - Education & Experience
This executive will have a track record of developing and implementing strategies that significantly grew or transformed software businesses. S/he must have significant career experience in embedded software/middleware (or a related field). Most importantly, this individual will have an intuitive understanding of the US A&D markets, the key players, regulatory bodies, development processes, ecosystems (e.g. major embedded software vendors, board vendors and other contributors) combined with a deep knowledge of the value chains, business models and technical reference solutions.
- Bachelor's Degree and 12+ years of experience working in Business Development.
- Strong understanding of the DOD, IC and FED/CIV markets with relevant organizational relationships. Prior related S&T experience considered to be highly desirable.
- Solid understanding of embedded system architectures, industry specific development processes and other ecosystem dynamics, such as the impact of modern embedded cloud architectures.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills with experience presenting at executive levels.
- Can provide examples of leading opportunity captures >$10 million including: developing overall win strategy, shaping deals with customers, developing team strategies, understanding pricing and assisting in developing a winning price strategy
- Proven ability to identify, establish and use important customer relationships with senior level officials and program stakeholders with DOD, IC and Fed/CIV Customers
- Proven ability to collaborate within and across organizational boundaries
- Ability to identify key business and technology growth areas and develop new business aligned with the company's growth strategy
- Knowledge of Government contracting and current acquisition trends and customer buying behaviors
- Knowledge of competitors and ability to model competitor behaviors in the market
- Excellent writing, communication skills with experience presenting to senior executives and customers
- Proven experience working with geographically diverse teams; strong coaching and mentoring skills. Proven ability to collaborate within and across organizational boundaries to achieve results through others. Possesses the skills and ability to empower and engage people and instill drive and passion into the organization
- Minimum Secret level clearance required
- Grow the opportunity pipeline, to include existing as well as adjacent markets/customers, through diligent and timely identification/qualification of new business opportunities by leveraging current technologies, customer intimacies, and inter-company collaboration
- Support development of growth plans to ensure alignment with strategic goals of the A&D Market Segment Team
- Lead and participate in the identification, qualification and pursuit of strategic business opportunities
- Develop internal cross-organizational relationships and drive new growth through collaboration with the other sectors
- Obtain marketing intelligence and competitive data pertaining to potential targeted pursuits, and develop marketing strategies
- Builds, matures and executes comprehensive account plans that deliver desired customer awareness and new business awards.
- Identifies and qualifies a robust pipeline of focused opportunities that align with A & D business objectives.
- Develops and maintains strong customer relationships to identify customer objectives, priorities, and requirements that strategically position Wind River as an innovative industry leader.
- Develops and maintains strong industry relations with large and small businesses with significant presence in assigned markets.
- Teams with Market Segment Team leadership to provide counsel and recommendations for bid/no bid reviews and collaborates with Product Development and Product Line Management on capture planning initiatives.
- Conducts competitive analysis.
- Develops effective win strategies which include identifying and qualifying new opportunities.
- Maintains a pipeline of qualified opportunities in excess of $100M.
- Function as an effective spokesperson and influencer to drive a favorable reputation for Wind River’s offerings in the Aerospace & Defense segment and focuses on the incubation for new solutions adhering to the growth of the topline.
Why Choose Wind River?
Wind River believes that some things are so important they simply cannot fail. That is why we exist. From planes, trains, automobiles, and even Mars Rovers, to medical devices and industrial robots, Wind River technology is found in more than 2 billion products that demand the highest standards for safety, security, performance, and reliability. Interested in working for an innovative global software leader that is pioneering the technologies to accelerate the evolution from automated devices to autonomous systems? Wind River has been recognized as a Top Workplace for 6 consecutive years, and we're looking for top talent to contribute to our continued success...join us!
Wind River is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.