Lead Data Engineer
(US Citizen or Permanent Resident)
In a world increasingly driven by software innovation, Wind River is pioneering the technologies to accelerate the digital transformations of our customers with a new generation of Mission Critical AI Systems, in a world with the most exacting standards for safety, security, performance, and reliability. Success will be determined by our ability to innovate with velocity and deliver at the solutions level.
Wind River’s impact spans critical infrastructure domains such as telecommunications, including 5G; industrial (automation, sustainable energy, robotics, mining), connected healthcare and medical devices, automotive (connected and self-driving vehicles), and aerospace & defense. We were recognized by VDC Research in July 2020 as #1 in Edge Compute OS Platforms, overtaking Microsoft as the overall commercial leader. Wind River regularly wins industry recognitions for excellence in IoT security, cloud and edge computing, as well as 7 consecutive years as a “Top Work Place”. If you’re passionate about amplifying your impact on the world, in a caring, respectful culture with a growth mindset, come join us and help lead the way into the future of the intelligent edge!
Wind River is big enough to change the world and small enough for your ideas and voice to be heard about how we do it.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Wind River Systems is seeking an experienced high-performing lead software engineer for a team developing a hybrid cloud-based data analytics, machine learning, and artificial intelligence platform. This is a data warehouse software all-rounder role. The core purpose of the role is to design, develop, and integrate the data science platform and models with Wind River products, the customer experience, and ultimately the business.
The successful candidate will join a highly skilled development team delivering internal and external tools and technologies across a complete analytics-driven DevSecOps platform, pioneering many new industry-leading capabilities. They will collaborate cross-functionally with data scientists, architects, technologists, developers, product managers, and customer-facing teams to deliver intelligent cloud analytics solutions across a wide portfolio of class-leading products, in many industry verticals, and ensure high performance, usability, and product quality.
- Lead and contribute technically on projects to iteratively design, implement, deploy, and monitor integrations of data science models for intelligent edge solutions, to solve a range of development and systems problems
- Help define and evolve a high-quality, secure data architecture and infrastructure, upon which future data science can flourish
- Efficiently extract and wrangle data from development tools (like Gitlab, Jenkins, Jira, and many more)
- Efficiently extract and wrangle data from real devices in the labs and the real world (like planes, trains, automobiles, and many more)
- Deliver and maintain cloud infrastructure, spanning on-premise, AWS, and Azure
- Deliver features and updates to the infrastructure using Kubernetes, Docker, Jenkins, and other tools
- Mentor and help to up-skill other members of AI development teams
- Conduct efficient, objective evaluations of candidate technologies as needed
Core Competencies, Demonstrated Success & Qualifications
We're looking for someone with expert-level technical skills in cutting-edge big data platforms and solutions: (this role may be filled at a higher level for a highly qualified candidate)
- BSc / MSc degree (Computer Science, Computer/Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, or other STEM field) or equivalent work experience
- 8+ years working in the software development arena
- 5+ years of hands-on experience designing and developing big data analytics solutions
- Strong understanding of software product development processes and software team communication / coordination approaches
- Exceptional team player with a track record of successful collaborations and working well in diverse, distributed agile environments
- History of successfully leading and contributing on complex data lake/data warehouse/data engineering projects and evaluating tradeoffs in architectural qualities for analytics solutions
- Blend of technical expertise and soft skills including business acumen, decision making, and well-developed oral and written communication skills
- Experience with Nifi / Kafka / Postgres / Hadoop / Kubernetes / Docker
- Excellent demonstrable programming skills using SQL, Python, Go, and C/C++
- Experience with Linux and multi-region AWS & Azure
- Self-managed, fast learner with the desire and ability to master new technologies
It will be great if you also have:
- Experience integrating and deploying machine learning models and artificial intelligence technologies into software solutions
- Experience in autonomous systems development
- Familiarity with Real-Time Operating Systems (RTOS), RTOS development tools
- Proficiency with agile project management tools (e.g. Jira) or CM/CI/CD tools (Git, Gitlab, Jenkins)
- Software development, architecture, agile, or security certifications
- History of open source contributions and/or volunteering on professional committees
Wind River is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.