Cloud Development Engineer - Telecom
In a world increasingly driven by software innovation, Wind River is pioneering the technologies to accelerate the digital transformations of our customers with a new generation of Mission Critical AI Systems, with the most exacting standards for safety, security, performance, and reliability. Success will be determined by our ability to innovate with velocity and deliver at the solutions level.
Wind River’s impact spans critical infrastructure domains such as telecommunications, including 5G; industrial (automation, sustainable energy, robotics, mining), connected healthcare and medical devices, automotive (connected and self-driving vehicles), and aerospace & defense. We were recognized by VDC Research in July 2020 as #1 in Edge Compute OS Platforms, overtaking Microsoft as the overall commercial leader. Wind River regularly wins industry recognitions for excellence in IoT security, cloud and edge computing, as well as 8 consecutive years as a “Top Work Place”. If you’re passionate about amplifying your impact on the world, in a caring, respectful culture with a growth mindset, come join us and help lead the way into the future of the intelligent edge!
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Wind River is a leader in delivering software for the intelligent edge. This role requires the understanding and delivery of the technical requirements of major networking and telecom operators. You will leverage Wind River’s Cloud Platform to deliver geographically distributed, high-performance, production grade Kubernetes-based solutions for managing edge cloud infrastructure. Optimized for the network edge, the solutions you will support address service provider’s complex challenges of deploying and managing a physically distributed, cloud native infrastructure.
You must have experience in software engineering with a strong focus on Telecom and data networking. You will need to apply your technical expertise, passion for open source to understand the customer’s problems and develop solutions using our product offerings and services.
A qualified candidate is expected to be hands-on in the deployment of Wind River’ Cloud platform, extending product features, working with hardware, and testing code. Experience in open-source projects such as Ansible, OpenStack, StarlingX, Git and Markdown is a benefit.
- Provide technical guidance and delivery of projects based on Wind River’s Cloud Platform to Communication Service Provider (CSP) customers.
- Work with Professional Services Project Managers to prepare project descriptions, identify task lists, set schedules, determine engineering hours, estimate project risk and deliver on successful bids.
- Work with customers during presales negotiations, architecture discussions, requirements definitions and during software development.
- Be comfortable with building, reconfiguring and provisioning lab equipment such as servers, real and virtual routers and networks in both Wind River and customers’ lab environments.
- Perform resident engineer activities during the deployment of Wind River’s Cloud Platform.
- Understand and assist with Customer’s 5G deployment
- Participate in Customer’s software and system lifecycle processes to ensure that incorporation and updating of Wind River’s products are planned and executed successfully.
- Some travel will be required.
- This is a direct customer facing position and requires comfort with customers and issue resolution skills.
- Enjoy working on leading edge technologies and projects.
- Expertise in virtualization, containers, Kubernetes, Docker, and cloud-native technologies
- Working/functional knowledge of network stacks, switching, routing, etc.
- Strong knowledge of wireless/cellular telecom, and 5G edge deployments.
- Experience in network system-level solution design.
- Exposure to SDN concepts, Network Function Virtualization (NFV), and ETSI-MANO.
- Linux (Centos, Redhat) background covering deployment, image build, application, and administration.
- Adept at various programming languages: Python scripting languages like Ansible, Perl, etc.
- The ability to work on a team & independently on multiple high priority projects.
- Be willing to work in an ambiguous environment and willing to self-learn.
- Verbal communications via articulation of past project details and outcomes and written communication skills.
- Organizational and interpersonal skills, plus proven relationship building abilities.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, or equivalent.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
Wind River is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.