Embedded Linux Support Engineer
In a world increasingly driven by software innovation, Wind River is pioneering the technologies to accelerate the digital transformations of our customers with a new generation of Mission Critical AI Systems, with the most exacting standards for safety, security, performance, and reliability. Success will be determined by our ability to innovate with velocity and deliver at the solutions level.
Wind River’s impact spans critical infrastructure domains such as telecommunications, including 5G; industrial (automation, sustainable energy, robotics, mining), connected healthcare and medical devices, automotive (connected and self-driving vehicles), and aerospace & defense. We were recognized by VDC Research in July 2020 as #1 in Edge Compute OS Platforms, overtaking Microsoft as the overall commercial leader. Wind River regularly wins industry recognitions for excellence in IoT security, cloud and edge computing, as well as 8 consecutive years as a “Top Work Place”. If you’re passionate about amplifying your impact on the world, in a caring, respectful culture with a growth mindset, come join us and help lead the way into the future of the intelligent edge!
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
If you’re a curious and collaborative engineer, someone excited about tackling hard problems and finding innovative solutions, you will love being part of our group.
You will contribute to porting, testing, and deployment of a Linux kernel and hypervisor tool suite that protects mission-critical and safety-critical systems from cyber and reverse engineering threats. Leverage knowledge of embedded security, operating systems, virtualization technology, anti-tamper, or other areas of expertise. You will evaluate customer requirements, devise solutions/approaches, and meet challenging delivery deadlines. You will enthusiastically collaborate and teach customers about our products, support product evaluations, train users, and participate in design engagements.
You will work with standard off-the-shelf and custom hardware, troubleshooting not only for OS issues but the possible interaction problems between the hardware and the software applications of our customers throughout their life cycle and help them successfully reach their business goals by implementing Wind River’s products and services. Experience in development is required.
You will need to be sharp and self-driven to jump into our labs and duplicate customer environments, systems, and devices. You will master skills in a wide range of Wind River and other Cloud tools & technologies such as Hypervisor, IDEs, compilers, Dockers/Container, Kubernetes, Jenkins, etc., to understand customer setups, anticipate or investigate possible root causes, and provide high-quality solutions.
This position works closely with end-users, stakeholders, and developers within Wind River customer support operations to assess, troubleshoot, and solve complex multi-layered issues (hardware, software, and everything in between).
· Customization, deployment, and maintenance of Linux distribution on different hardware platforms.
· Interacting with Linux kernel and device drivers
· Support customers who are encountering problems with Wind River products
· Communicate effectively with customers to resolve their problems.
· Communicate effectively with account teams on customer issues
· Handle customer and defect escalations.
· Document customer issues and resolutions accurately and thoroughly.
· Develop technical content for the online support site
· Participate in support process improvement activities
· May need to provide on-site support and training to customers
· Proactively contribute content to the various Knowledge Bases within Wind River
· Mentor local and global Customer Support Engineers
· 6-8 years experience required with 3-5 years of customer-facing role experience preferred
· Desirable, experience with RTOSes like VxWorks. Familiarity with Wind River product a plus.
· Desirable to have experience building, testing, debugging, and porting Linux kernel code across different versions and operating system variants like Yocto
· Experience in Device Drivers, BSP, HW design, Networking, and other technologies used in embedded system applications
· Familiarity with DevOps CI/CD, Dockers, Kubernetes, and involved tools
· Familiarity of major processor families: PowerPC, Intel and ARM, including multi-core and assembly
· Desirable Understanding and experience in high-level languages and application of C/C++, GO/ RUST, BASH, Python etc.
· Desirable Experience in virtualization/containerization technologies like KVM, docker, containers. Experience working with Xen-based virtualization as well as using and testing on Linux systems is a plus
· Exceptional team player who works well in a collaborative environment.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Bachelor or master’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Data Science, or related technical field
BENEFITS & PERKS
- Pet-Friendly Environment
- Pet Insurance
- Christmas, Thanksgiving & July 4th Soft Shutdown periods
- Birthday and Volunteer Time off
- 401K + Company Match
- Competitive Benefits Package
- Virgin Pulse Wellness program
- Management Training
Wind River is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.