Senior Embedded Engineer - VxWorks
In a world increasingly driven by software innovation, Wind River is pioneering the technologies to accelerate the digital transformations of our customers with a new generation of Mission Critical AI Systems, with the most exacting standards for safety, security, performance, and reliability. Success will be determined by our ability to innovate with velocity and deliver at the solutions level.
Wind River’s impact spans critical infrastructure domains such as telecommunications, including 5G; industrial (automation, sustainable energy, robotics, mining), connected healthcare and medical devices, automotive (connected and self-driving vehicles), and aerospace & defense. We were recognized by VDC Research in July 2020 as #1 in Edge Compute OS Platforms, overtaking Microsoft as the overall commercial leader. Wind River regularly wins industry recognitions for excellence in IoT security, cloud and edge computing, as well as 8 consecutive years as a “Top Work Place”. If you’re passionate about amplifying your impact on the world, in a caring, respectful culture with a growth mindset, come join us and help lead the way into the future of the intelligent edge!
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
US Citizens Only
This position is based in Huntsville, AL. If a candidate requires relocation, Wind River will provide some financial assistance.
Wind River Professional Services has been helping clients implement great innovations, increase ROI and reduce time to market for more than 30 years. We have an excellent opportunity for an Embedded Software Engineer to work on cutting-edge development projects in Huntsville, AL, on-site with an important customer as part of our respected Professional Services team of highly skilled engineers.
The ideal candidate will have proven skills in development of embedded software for embedded hardware systems. The job requires solid people skills for interaction with customers and Wind River services project teams. The qualified candidate will be self-driven with relevant embedded software experience that can be applied to a variety of new processor and peripheral devices. The candidate must have sufficient experience with current VxWorks (preferred) or Wind River Linux (second priority) products to provide direct assistance to end-user customers. Your contributions in the role will play a critical part in our North American Professional Services team helping our customers create mission-critical Aerospace & Defense systems.
- Provide direct assistance to customer teams with Design, implementation, and validation of embedded software, e.g. Board Support Packages (BSP) for custom and/or COTS embedded hardware systems
- Provide direct assistance to customer teams with Design, implementation, and test of software drivers for a variety of peripheral devices commonly used in embedded hardware systems.
- Provide direct assistance to customer teams with the development of hardware test code, support bring-up, and validation of custom embedded hardware systems.
- Provide customer site support
- Work independently on customer site managing day to day interactions
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, electrical engineering, or equivalent in a related subject area
- Minimum of 5 years of embedded software design experience, a significant portion of which is with VxWorks and Linux.
- US Citizen
- Experience with low level embedded SW (e.g. BSPs and device drivers) development, debugging/troubleshooting
- Experience using embedded software development environments (e.g. Workbench, Eclipse)
- Experience in custom embedded hardware bring up
- Strong C programming experience
- Software development experience on one or more common embedded processor types (PowerPC, MIPS, x86, ARM, etc.)
- Prior customer success management experience a plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and a track record of completing software development tasks on time
- Self-motivated with a strong desire to learn
- Solid decision-making skills and judgment – can be depended upon to meet goals, foresee and avert problems
- Ability to obtain a security clearance, prefer to already hold DoD security clearance. Current security clearance (Secret level) a plus.
- Experience with Multicore & Virtualization architectures a plus.
- Should be a hands-on type of person with the initiative to dive in and do whatever is necessary to get the task completed.
BENEFITS & PERKS
- Christmas, Thanksgiving & July 4th Soft Shutdown periods
- Birthday and Volunteer Time off
- 401K + Company Match
- Competitive Benefits Package
- Pet-friendly environment and pet insurance
- Management Training
Wind River is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.