Museum Docent – Mathematics – Full-time & Part-time
The National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath) is a growing institution that provides insight into the evolving, creative, human, and aesthetic nature of mathematics to a diverse audience of all ages. Its interactive exhibits and stimulating programs encourage inquiry, spark curiosity, and reveal the wonders of math. You can learn more about MoMath and its open positions at www.momath.org.
MoMath is seeking full-time and part-time Museum docents (“Interpreters”) to help visitors of all ages, including school groups and families, have a rewarding experience during their time at the Museum. These positions require a solid math background, the ability to connect with learners of all ages, and comfort with hands-on education. A strong commitment to customer service is essential.
Full-time and part-time Interpreter opportunities are available. The full-time position offers a full suite of benefits. Part-time Interpreters are particularly desired for Mondays and Fridays, though candidates available other days will be considered.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assisting visitors as they explore Museum exhibits
- Explaining the mathematical concepts underlying exhibits and discussing them with visitors
- Leading interactive demonstrations for Museum visitors as needed
- Monitoring the status of exhibits to ensure they are in working order and keeping them in neat condition, ready for use
- Assisting with presentations when educators need additional help
- Escorting school groups into the Museum
- Greeting visiting classes and other groups upon arrival
- Hosting birthday parties and other group events
- Being a smiling and welcome presence on the Museum floor
- Monitoring the Museum floor for safety issues
- Directing visitors to retail for appropriate content-related items
- Assisting with retail when needed
- Performing other tasks as assigned
- A bachelor’s degree in math, science, or equivalent is desirable; college students majoring in math or science are welcome to apply
- A demonstrated passion for mathematics
- Strong communication and presentation skills and comfort speaking in front of large groups
- Previous experience working with children and/or families is a plus
- Experience in formal education, informal education, and/or with a museum in a visitor-oriented role is a strong plus, but not required
Please submit your application materials via email.
Please send the following materials to [email protected] with a subject line that includes “Interpreter” and your name:
- A cover letter explaining how you meet the qualifications
- A current résumé, including grade point averages
- A separate 150- to 500-word statement describing your views on mathematics or a life experience you have had related to mathematics.
MoMath actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Equal opportunities are provided without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.