Senior Control Software Engineer (Energy Storage)
Canadian Solar Inc. (NASDAQ: CSIQ) is a vertically integrated manufacturer of solar cells, modules, and custom-designed solar power applications. Canadian Solar’s world-class team of professionals works closely with our customers to provide them with solutions for all their solar needs. Founded in 2001, Canadian Solar is one of the world’s fastest-growing companies in the solar industry and has been listed on the NASDAQ since November 2006.
CSI Energy Storage engineering team is looking for a Senior Control Software Engineer with a passion for software design and extensive experience with real time power plant controls and simulation. You will be responsible to ensure our BESS plant are designed and operate with the highest control performance and comply with the various grid code, energy storage market requirements while maintaining and optimizing charge and discharge of the batteries.
- Serve as the senior controls software expert on a team.
- Manage third party control vendors providing power plant controllers.
- Schedule and manage all activities of the various assigned software project.
- Lead implementation of plant controls for all BESS projects globally.
- Lead implementation of the various controller between the battery and the inverter.
- Develop, build, and document the overall controls logic using Matlab Simulink, or equivalent modeling tool.
- Develop and maintain electrical model of the BESS for grid modeling in Power factory and PSCAD.
- Train, mentor, commissioning team members.
- Develop specification and test plans.
- Lead the execution of the performance and acceptance tests with utility company and our client.
- Focus on robustness, security, performance, scalability, and maintainability.
- Monitor change control and to maintain software files, releases, and documentations.
- Evaluate components, software, and/or systems and provide recommendations to the engineering team.
- Participate in field implementation, validation and testing of BESS plant controls. (may include extended site assignments globally)
- Travel to various sites as needed.
Qualifications & Requirements
- MS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or Mathematics
- 10+ years of work experience. Related work experience will be considered in place of a master’s degree.
- Experience with power generation control systems is a must.
- Experience with Power System Market Applications.
- Expertise in Real-time controller programming (PLC or RTAC), IEC 61131.
- Experience with Industrial Protocols: Modbus TCP, DNP3, IEC 61850.
- Expertise in Electrical modeling software such as ETAP, Digsilent Power Factory, PSCAD or PSS/E
- Expertise in Simulink for model-based systems engineering, C/C++, and Linux
- Expertise in closed-loop control algorithms.
- Working Knowledge of Python and C.
- Comfortable in a collaborative and fluid environment.
- An excellent time manager, able to balance multiple projects and prioritize a broad variety of issues, initiatives, and objectives concurrently.
- Willingness to learn and work with tools.
- A creative thinker: need to be able to come up with novel solutions to established. problems and evaluate their business benefit.
Compensation & Benefits
Canadian Solar offers a competitive salary plus fully comprehensive benefits and performance bonus package based on an annual objective achievement. Our generous benefits package includes a 401(k) Retirement Plan, medical/dental/life/disability program, PTO and sick days.
Canadian Solar Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.