We’re SWM. We’re Essential.
At SWM, we’ll never be okay with status quo. We are committed to raising standards, providing growth opportunities to our employees and giving our customers the answers, the value, and the edge they need to compete and win.
At SWM, Essential isn’t just what we make. It’s what we do.
Every day, our papers, films, and nets and nonwovens are used in a diverse range of products, applications and industries around the world. As experts in highly engineered materials made from fibers, resins and polymers, we provide solutions to make products stronger, more durable and with increased performance. From accessory materials for face shields and medical devices, to protective helmets for hospital workers, law enforcement and military, to support layers for filtration and Reverse Osmosis (RO) applications for clean drinking water – and much more, we are proud to serve customers who make a world of difference in the markets they operate in and the products they improve.
We have an opportunity for a Senior Project Engineer in our Advanced Materials and Structures business.
The Senior Project Engineer improves the company's manufacturing processes through new equipment design, modification and implementing 3rd party solutions. The successful candidate possesses a wide range of mechanical component and system design experiences in industrial manufacturing or custom automation settings. This role will be in the Raleigh, NC area.
- Identifies opportunities for equipment improvements, makes recommendations including financial justification.
- Recommends modification or replacement of equipment to ensure greater equipment up time or reduced maintenance cost.
- Prepares specifications and obtains quotes for equipment purchases, technical services, construction, installations and other purchased products or services needed in the execution of an assigned project.
- Designs system solutions with a heavy mechanical emphasis. Mechanical designs will range from safety barrier and shielding design, to hard tooling (g., die head and manufacturing fixture design), to frame structure and bearing element designs.
- Develops cost effective designs using 3D CAD software.
- Designs system solutions with precision mechanics emphasis such as inline sensing systems.
- Manages projects including budgets, deadlines, status reports, specifications, procurement, installation, troubleshooting, commissioning, training, and documentation.
- Collaborates with the plant and engineering team to ensure satisfactory designs and implementation of projects.
- Stays current concerning new research, design methodology and investigates their potential applications.
- Travels up to 50% primarily to our Wilson NC and Roanoke VA locations.
- Adheres to SWM Guiding Principles, policies, and procedures.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local laws.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in an applicable engineering field, preferably mechanical engineering. 5+ years of engineering and project management experience in a manufacturing environment. Experience with custom machinery design and automation will be highly valued.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Skilled as a collaborative team player with strong communications skills; experienced working remotely from other project team members
- Skilled applying fundamentals of engineering, mechanical design principles, and industrial control concepts in everyday projects.
- Knowledge in fiber separation, mixing, handling, carding and non-woven media bonding manufacturing process steps is highly desired.
- Knowledge in film or net extrusion and media winding/spooling is highly desired.
- Knowledgeable in machining (milling, turning, EDM) and forming (joining, bending, etc.) processes as they relate to design for cost and manufacturability.
- Experienced in industrial instrumentation.
- Skilled in communicating complex concepts using visual models and everyday explanations.
- Proficient using3D modeling tools such as SolidWorks, Inventor, NX, etc.
- Experienced writing equipment and performance specifications for 3rd party procurement
- Experienced with systems utilizing PLC’s (programmable logic controls).
- Experienced leading and managing projects.
- Skilled managing and maintaining company interests in vendor negotiations.
- Experienced designing to safety standards.
- Effective prioritization and time management skills.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or other protected status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. SWM International is committed to help individuals with disabilities participate in the workforce, and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at SWM, please email our Talent Acquisition Team at [email protected]