Field Service Technician
Job Description – Canadian Solar Component Corporation
Position Title: Field Service Technician
Department:Technical Support and Services, Americas
Reports To: Director, Technical Support and Services, Americas
Our Field Service Technicians are responsible for ensuring Canadian Solar products are operating as intended in a safe and efficient manner, performing pre- energization, commissioning, and warranty repairs and after sales support. Our Field Service Technicians promote a positive company image through service quality, professionalism, and a strong sense of urgency.
- Demonstrating your commitment to safety in the workplace
- Wear personal protective equipment (PPE), including hardhat and safety glasses at all times. Each job site may be different, and must be accessed individually for additional precautions
- Conduct site safety assessments and identify all safety hazards on job-site, lead or attend daily safety meetings, properly fill out or follow JHA & LOTO documentation.
- Conduct project planning, create the work schedule, and determine contractor and labor requirements for small to medium size warranty projects
- Schedule and manage work for 50 or more personnel, setting goals and timelines for the completion of required tasks
- Manage and maintain the work schedule and three week look-ahead, reporting job status to the Director, Technical Support on a daily basis
- Troubleshooting issues, evaluating alternatives and proposing solutions.
- Testing, analyzing, and repairing problems in photovoltaic inverters and monitoring (SCADA)
- Review project plans, specifications & installation instructions to ensure that the project is built according to the approved design and specifications
- Ordering required parts and controlling all job materials using our computer systems
- Responding quickly to issues and within established service promise timelines
- In field work including leading crew members including oversight of 3rd party technicians to complete projects within established policies and procedures as needed
- Maintaining a clean work area at all times
- Proactively preparing for upcoming work
- Interacting with various individuals at different levels within the company
- Troubleshooting repairs logically and efficiently
- Troubleshoot PV system performance issues and locate & isolate ground faults.
- Commission PV systems, including but not limited to; insulation testing (megger testing), I-V curve testing, thermal imagery, torque tests and performance evaluations.
- Manage relations with customers and local customer representatives
- Other duties as required
Qualifications and Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- BS Degree in Engineering or related field high desirable
- A valid electrical license preferred
- Ability to read plan sets and perform take off for ordering materials
- Experience with AC 480V 3 phase grid standards and 1000V DC systems.
- Experience with installation of main service panels, transformers and load centers.
- Electrical experience with commercial photovoltaic installations
- Demonstrate detailed knowledge of solar industry best practices and diagnosis/repair of common solar failures.
- Solid knowledge of the National Electrical Code, UL1741, UL1703 and IEC 61215
- PVSYST experience is a plus
- Excellent communications skills
- Superior problem solving skills
- A desire for continuous improvement
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills in real time, and the ability to take detailed documentation and assessment of any/all task at hand
- Ability to work well with subcontracted construction personnel in resolution of issues identified in the field during that phase of a project.
- NABCEP certification or other component specific solar certifications helpful
- This is primarily a field position and extensive travel to local and remote sites is required
- Ability to read, write and speak Spanish is highly disirable
The company reserves the right to change the duties and responsibilities of this position at any time as its own discretion.
Revised: Richard Hanson 11.25.19