Vice President, Cloud Engineering
In a world increasingly driven by software innovation, Wind River is pioneering the technologies to accelerate the digital transformation of our customers with a new generation of Mission Critical AI Systems in an AI-first world with the most exacting standards for safety, security, performance, and reliability. Success will be determined by our ability to innovate with velocity and sell at the solutions level.
Wind River’s impact spans critical infrastructure domains such as Telecommunications, including 5G; Industrial (automation, sustainable energy, robotics, mining); Connected Healthcare and Medical Devices; Automotive (connected and self-driving vehicles); and, Aerospace & Defense. We were recognized by VDC Research in July 2020 as #1 in Edge Compute OS Platforms, overtaking Microsoft as the overall commercial leader. Wind River regularly wins industry recognitions for excellence in IoT security, cloud, and edge computing, as well as 8 consecutive years as a “Top Workplace.” If you’re passionate about amplifying your impact on the world in a caring, respectful culture that is based on growth mindset, diversity, inclusion, and customer-focused, come join us and help lead the way into the future of the intelligent edge!
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
A highly visible and exciting opportunity to be part of a game-changing technology that is the industry’s first cloud-native platform for building, deploying, testing, operating, and servicing the full lifecycle of mission-critical intelligent systems. Our recent partnership with Verizon is the world first and you will be leading the team that is unifying infrastructure, orchestration, and analytics capabilities so that operators can deploy and manage their intelligent 5G edge networks globally with our integrated cloud-native platform.
In this role, you will lead a world-class team in Ottawa, Canada, and build a team in Seattle within a fast-paced cutting –edge open-source environment. Reporting to the Worldwide Head of Engineering, and working closely with the Chief Technology Officer, you will be required to communicate openly and build collaborations across all engineering functions. Working side-by-side with the product team to ensure timely and top quality releases, and fostering “best practices” for the engineering team.
- Manage a team of 70+ cloud engineers for delivering a first-class cloud-native platform for Verizon, other carriers, and enterprise companies.
- Participate in Verizon customer meetings to provide project updates and visibility against roadmap and agreed on deliverables
- Drive alignment, structure, and motivate your team (internal, & outsourced) to deliver the product roadmap, ship quality products on time
- Build a culture of teamwork and excellence within your team.
- Ensure strong partnership and collaboration between the team and other engineering departments and functions like product and customer success.
- Build a high performing team while mentoring and developing staff
- Be a driving force of organizational change.
- Provide/coordinate the transfer of knowledge for all the technical training required for proper deployment and support by the customer success team
- Executive communication, stakeholder sign-off, and management, internal communication across functions (Product Management, Customer Success, Finance and Legal) as it relates to projects that require extensive change management
- Implement computer/software engineering standards, design specifications, and engineering change process management
- Meet strategic technology targets, deliverables amidst operational demands (both internal as well as customer-facing).
Core Competencies & Demonstrated Success
- At least 10 years+ proven experience in leading a software development team from scoping and architecture through to delivery and deployment.
- Strong leadership, consulting, communication, and conflict management skills to build consensus and collaborate effectively with other teams and functions
- A demonstrated strategic mindset and ability to develop, inspire, and implement a change management agenda
- Experience with cloud-native technology, operating systems, Kubernetes and applications, experience with telco/networking customers will be advantageous
- Experience with or a strong understanding of working with open source alliances
- Experience in driving agile transformations
- Experience in developing products with continuous integration, and continuous delivery
- Strong understanding of all methodologies of the SDLC
- Experience directly managing and providing leadership to high performing software development or engineering teams
- Experience and ability to deal with executive customers on delivery, and technical details of a given project
- Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering degree or equivalent
- Solid understanding of SDLC as well as expert knowledge of both agile and traditional project management principles and practices and the ability to blend them as needed
- Sufficient technical background to provide highly credible leadership to technical teams, and to objectively evaluate complex project issues and risks
- US Person on US Soil
Wind River is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other legally protected status.