Senior Engineering Manager (Nutanix Database)
Senior Engineering Manager (Nutanix Database team)
Hungry, Humble, Honest, with heart!
We are looking for experienced Software Engineering Managers, who are excited to be among the first people in the new team, building modern Cloud technology and shaping the future of the product. In the Nutanix DB Team, we will be tackling the most challenging problems in Database Engine and Service layers that will utilize the full power of Private and Public Clouds (Nutanix Cloud, AWS, Azure, etc).
Nutanix Database Service
Nutanix Database Service was launched 3 years ago, and since its beginnings we have seen a tremendous customer response. Now, we are entering the next stage of Nutanix DB evolution, with expansion to a full multi-Cloud and Hybrid offering that supports multiple Database Engines. We started the Nutanix Database team in Serbia in April 2022. The team attracted several senior technical experts with cloud service and database kernel experience from different companies, together with a group of super talented young engineers. The team is now delivering on the first Nutanix DB Serbia milestones!
- Building a team of engineers and setting the engineering best practices;
- Owning an engineering area of Nutanix DB multi-cloud hybrid product;
- Hiring and attracting the talent for your and other Nutanix DB teams;
- Working with other engineering groups across geographies;
- Taking part in leading the Nutanix DB organization in Serbia and driving the team culture;
What will you bring
- 5+ years of experience in managing engineering teams;
- Passion for building world-class engineering teams and culture;
- Technical leadership and passion for programming and a rock-solid coding foundation;
- Ability to solve problems related to distributed systems, concurrency, and performance engineering;
- Passion for system design;
- Experience in engineering fundamentals and software design best practices;
Great to have:
- Experience in hiring the right people and building the team from scratch;
- Experience in geo-distributed working environment with cross-team collaboration;
- Experience in building a scalable cloud service on one of the leading public clouds: AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.
- Experience in either PostgreSQL, MS Sql Server, Oracle, or other Database Engine development;
- Experience in system design and cloud architecture;
- Experience in Open Source project code development;
- Experience in bootstrapping a startup project;
Meet the hiring manager!
Nutanix DB team in Serbia is led by our Senior Director of Engineering, Jovan Ćukalović, who joined in April 2022 after 10+ years in Microsoft, where he was working on SQL Server on Azure as one the leaders of the Microsoft SQL team in Serbia:
“I was inspired by the Nutanix Database Service story and the opportunity to build a team working on multiple clouds and multiple database engines.”
Biggest professional win: “Building a team from scratch and driving execution of SQL Managed Instance was the single biggest challenge in my career. I had a chance to work with the most talented and passionate young engineers, and witness an evolution of both product and team around me.”
Biggest personal win: “Over the years of hard work and challenges, I managed to keep my family and personal wellbeing at the top of my priority list.”
Message for our candidates: “We are looking for people who want to grow their system design skills and be the first ones to witness creation of our multi-cloud hybrid Database Service!”
What the Team Says
“What I love about working in this team is that I have a rare opportunity to contribute to a cutting edge product that competes with most famous worldwide companies, while being surrounded by great teammates.”
“I am surrounded with highly skilled and supportive team members that are willing to help and share their knowledge at any time.”
“I had a chance to spend a week competing in a company wide CTF competition. It was a wonderful experience, I met some great people and had a lot of fun solving challenges, but most importantly, we won!”
How we work
We work in a hybrid style, letting everyone in the team decide on their preferred work location. Some of our team members enjoy remote work, while others like the office environment. We are trying to minimize the number of meetings and nurture the culture of writing and sharing documents, which helped us achieve a more flexible schedule and transparent knowledge sharing. The team works closely with other Nutanix DB teams in Bangalore, India and San Jose, California, with amazing diversity in cultural and technical backgrounds. We also have weekly Nutanix lunch days that are a great opportunity to connect in person with the team and other colleagues.
Nutanix is an equal opportunity employer.
The Equal Employment Opportunity Policy is to provide fair and equal employment opportunity for all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability. Nutanix hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.
Nutanix believes that associates should be provided with a working environment that enables each associate to be productive and to work to the best of his or her ability. We do not condone or tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
We expect and require the cooperation of all associates in maintaining a discrimination and harassment-free atmosphere.