RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT PRINCIPAL SCIENTIST - ITALIAN MEATS
Our Company, Your Opportunity:
Plumrose USA is a company with an 80-year history of providing high quality, great tasting sliced meats, bacon, ham and ribs. Plumrose was recently acquired by JBS, the world’s leading provider of beef, chicken and pork, with a vision of building the company into a leader in Protein Centric Prepared Foods. This is a unique opportunity to be in a start-up environment, with the backing of a Global CPG Powerhouse. This is a role for someone who is looking for an entrepreneurial challenge in a company with aspirations to be leaders within the CPG world. The position will have both strategic and tactical elements. This is an opportunity for a person who wants to think Big, dream Big and work to make Big ideas a reality.
To be THE BEST in all we do. We are completely focused on our business, ensuring the BEST products and services to our customers, a relationship of trust with our suppliers and profitability for our shareholders. All this, we do to provide an opportunity for a better future for all of our TEAM MEMBERS.
Scope Of Position:
Principle Scientist to perform food product and package development work to meet project objectives in the Italian Meats category. This position will be responsible for helping the team build out a new Italian style deli meats business including the people, product, package and manufacturing production facility. Projects and development will be heavily focused on manufacturing of salami, prosciutto, sausages and other fermented, cured or processed meat formulas and process development. This job will require in depth testing of product formulations with various manufacturing equipment vendors/suppliers, to help the team identify the best product formulas, best equipment and optimal manufacturing procedures to produce the highest quality product with the lowest costs. This position initially will be based in Greeley at the JBS corporate office and will eventually transition to the new production facility where a new R&D pilot scale facility will also reside. This position will also initially be responsible for managing a Jr. level R&D scientist, packaging engineer and R&D lab technician.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned
- Work cross-functionally with the project team to build a new meat business and production facility including people, plant, process and products
- Executes small scale and large scale plant tests
- Creates and manages product specifications
- Maintains accurate and complete records, analyzes reports
- Utilizes a working knowledge of plant processes and facilities
- Provides onsite monitoring and technical assistance to operations when testing/manufacturing new products.
- Leads commercialization of product changes and implementation of new items and processes.
- Works with cross-functional team members to flawlessly implement formulations, manufacturing processes and commissioning new equipment and manufacturing lines
- Identify and lead projects to drive revenue and margin growth for the organization
- Ensure food safety with appropriate challenge and shelf life testing
- Demonstrated R&D technical competence
- Demonstrated motivation and creative problem solving skills
- Ability to interact with others in manufacturing, lab and office environment
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Food Manufacturing Plant (<40 degrees F, wet/slippery environment)
- Could be long stretches standing work
- Early in the project involvement in the construction site
- Vendor and supplier plant testing trips
Pro-active self-starter, willing to accept responsibility for completion of business tasks. Must be a driven individual that can take ownership of projects, R&D responsibilities, and complete all the relevant tasks required for the job with minimal oversight.
- Autonomous self-starter that is accountable to delivering exceptional project results. Must be self-motivated, with ability to follow through and complete task in the given deadlines
- Excellent collaboration and organizational skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize
- Must be able to work closely with many departments including Sales, Regulatory, R&D, Quality, Marketing, Purchasing, and Production.
- Must be able to work in a food manufacturing environment and be able to flawless transition products and processes from R&D to operations
- Clear, concise written and oral communication skills required with attention to detail and accuracy mandatory
- Computer skills that include Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Reliable work history, punctuality, and dependability
- Bachelor’s degree in meat science/food science or equivalent with 15+ years of industry experience or Graduate degree with 12+ years of experience. Or significant relevant industry experience.
- Extensive background in meat product development and must include substantial experience in dry/semi-dry Italian style deli meat products (For example: Salami, snack sticks, prosciutto, etc)
- Significant Project Management experience
- 2-4 employees
- Estimating about 50% travel most of the time - mostly to equipment and meat vendors
- Midwest production facilities (New Plant- Location TBD)
- Equipment vendors could be USA or international travel
- Travel patterns will change as the facility is built and the project moves from creating the facility with baseline of products into development of new/innovation/pipeline portfolio
- Relocation to the new facility will be required in late 2021/early 2022