As an R&D Software Developer at DNEG, you will work as part of a highly engaged and knowledgeable team developing pioneering tools that enable our artists to tackle increasingly complex and creative challenges in the production of stunning - and award-winning - Visual Effects and Feature Animation work.
The Production Technology department support multiple film projects in parallel, from initial design and on-set supervision, to production and post-production. You will have influence
in all aspects of the software development life-cycle; designing, supporting and maintaining software as well as integrating tools into our existing pipeline, developed predominantly in C++ and Python.
Our R&D Software Developers are highly technical and are methodical in their approach to solving complex problems. You will regularly be required to:
- investigate solutions and techniques to improve our existing tools and software packages
- develop new software and tools which integrate into DNEG's pipeline
- present ideas for development opportunities to the Lead and Senior Developers
- produce technical specifications and documentation for the tools you develop
- ensure that bug reports and support requests are dealt with swiftly and efficiently
As well as being technically proficient, you will also need to be a good communicator - you will be producing technical documentation, communicating development timeframes and presenting your ideas to the Senior Developers in your team. You will also be communicating with artists and non-technical production staff, therefore your ability to articulate complex technical information to non-technical people will help you thrive in this role.
We value your expertise, so with the help of our dedicated Technology Project Managers you will be able to plan your own development projects working with Senior Developers to schedule development work and establish your own project deadlines. The variety of opportunities available in this department allows our smart, creative and adaptable R&D Software Developers to learn and grow while working at the centre of a dynamic R&D department contributing to the technology behind exceptional VFX and animation work ranging from blockbuster epics to television dramas.
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent subject
- Experience of development in a Linux environment
- Programming experience in C++ and/or Python
- Experience with APIs for relevant applications such as Houdini, Maya and Nuke
- Practical knowledge of programming libraries such as Boost and OpenGL
Nice to Have:
- Proven experience developing VFX-related tools
- Understanding of relevant third-party technologies such as Alembic, OpenEXR and OpenColourIO
- Familiarity with other relevant VFX software packages
- Knowledge of other programming languages, and an interest and ability to learn other programming languages as required
We would not be able to produce award-winning work without our Production Technology department, which is committed to nurturing an inclusive, diverse and exciting workplace. Our teams have a variety of backgrounds and originate from a number of different countries, working across the globe at the forefront of technology in the industry.
We are DNEG, one of the world's leading visual effects, animation and stereo conversion companies for feature film and television, with studios in London, Vancouver, Mumbai, Los Angeles, Chennai, Montréal, Chandigarh, Hyderabad and Goa.