Lead Tool Developer
Lead Tool Developer
As the Lead Tool Developer you will be responsible for leading a team of software developers to support, maintain and improve the tools used by our artists to produce our award winning Visual Effects work. You will work closely with senior stakeholders to determine the development roadmap for improving our tools, while working closely with the artists to understand their needs and requirements for tool creation, written in Python and C++.
Our Lead Developers are highly technical and are enthusiastic leaders. You will be regularly required to:
- establish technical requirements and specifications for improvements to our tools
- ensure that appropriate software development practices are followed by your team
- contribute to the design, development and delivery of tooling for artists
- work with a project manager to manage your team’s workload and manage the expectations of key stakeholders
- ensure that bug reports and support requests are dealt with swiftly and efficiently
You will be a supervising presence for your team of Tool Developers, who will look to you as a mentor to develop their skills and as a coach to provide them with guidance through the software development life-cycle.
You will also be the primary point of contact for artists to ensure they are supported by the work your team produce, so your ability to communicate accurately and succinctly between technical developers and non-technical artists will help you thrive in this role.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with excellent technical leadership skills to join DNEG’s Production Technology department and lead a team of talented Tool Developers. You will be responsible for driving improvement of the suite of tools which are used by artists throughout the facility on the exceptional VFX work ranging from blockbuster epics to television dramas.
- A bachelors degree in Computer Science or similar subject, or equivalent industry experience
- Extensive experience writing artist software in Python and C++
- Demonstrable experience leading a team of software engineers
- Practical experience writing extensions for industry standard industry software such as Mocha, Silhouette, PFTrack, 3D Equalizer, Nuke and Maya
Nice to have
- Experience with automated software testing methodologies and tools
- Working knowledge of additional programming languages
- Working knowledge of the visual effects pipeline
We are DNEG, one of the world's leading visual effects, animation and stereo conversion companies for feature film and television, with studios in London, Vancouver, Mumbai, Los Angeles, Chennai, Montréal, Chandigarh, Hyderabad and Goa.
Commitment to Diversity
We would not be able to produce award-winning work without our Production Technology department, which is committed to nurturing a diverse and exciting workplace. Our teams have a variety of backgrounds and originate from a number of different countries, working across the globe at the forefront of technology in the industry
We are DNEG, one of the world’s leading VFX and animation studios for the creation of award-winning feature film, television and multiplatform content. We employ nearly 8,000 people with worldwide offices and studios across North America (Los Angeles, Montréal, Toronto, Vancouver), Europe (London) and Asia (Bangalore, Mohali,Chennai, Mumbai).