Key Purpose of the Job:
The Crowd Supervisor works under the direction of the Head of Department to supervise the Crowd team in the technical and artistic aspects of the production, ensuring the highest-quality crowd simulations are produced in line with the Director’s creative vision and to the standards required by the Department. The Crowd Supervisor offers creative and technical leadership, support and feedback to the crowd team, ensuring that good and clear communication occurs at all times between the artists, department production teams, department supervisors and technology teams.
As a Crowd Supervisor, you will oversee a team of talented Artists as they set up a working crowd pipeline, and successfully deliver crowd elements using the appropriate range of technologies for the shots on their projects. You will contribute to the bidding and crewing for projects, and pro-actively mentor and provide feedback on crew and the pipeline technology. The Crowd Supervisor drives the technology roadmap for the crowd pipeline, assisting with the implementation of new processes and improving the operational efficiency for the department. At DNEG, our Supervisors are the glue that holds the department together. They are vital to the delivery of assets for our shows and we rely on them heavily to provide technical leadership. It is also their responsibility to interpret and ensure the creative aims of the Director and VFX Supervisors can be met.
- Extensive knowledge of Houdini crowd simulation & related software programs
- Proven experience in producing crowd work with an eye for details, good sense of timing, and thorough understanding of techniques and technologies relating to crowd vignette and simulation workflows in computer graphics
- Familiarity with pipeline issues and problem solving
- Experienced in project management, balancing quality with time constraints
- High level experience in Animated and live action VFX Films
- Excellent artistic and technical skills
- Able to provide artistic and technical solutions to the Crowd Team
- Strong leadership qualities with proven ability and experience supervising teams
Nice to have
- Programming or scripting skills (python)
- Experience in live action FX or Crowd work preferred
- Maya, Clarisse and/or equivalent 3D software knowledge
- Organised and pro-active team player
- A team leader, approachable and personable, with strong motivational qualities
- Adaptable and with a willingness to learn new skills and techniques – including proprietary software
- Calm under pressure and committed to meet production deadlines
- A positive, can-do attitude
We are DNEG, one of the world’s leading VFX and animation studios for the creation of award-winning feature film, television and multiplatform content. We employ nearly 7,000 people with worldwide offices and studios across North America (Los Angeles, Montréal, Toronto, Vancouver), Europe (London) and Asia (Bangalore, Chandigarh, Chennai, Mumbai).